Bathroom Striplight

S

Shutpa

I have just replaced a vanity unit in our shower room and in the process have removed the mirror together with the built in lights. I will be replacing this with a laminated board with mirror attached and want to add a striplight behind a pelmet-like structure at the top, similar to those installed in most Travellodge bathrooms. The feed cable is still there but I'm not sure of the type of light given that it will be located in a shower room. Are there special ones made for such a situation?

Sponsored Links
Accessed your link and going by the diagram for the shower room, our vanity unit is diagonally opposite the one shown and falls in the Outside Zone.

If it is outside the zones, then common sense should be used and an IP rating selected regarding the possibility of ingress of water or condensation and whether the manufacturer states that the fitting is suitable for the location.
I personally would be looking at something no less than IP44, but that is my personal choice, the protection can be less.

This chart maybe helpful in your decision.
http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the rapid and very helpful reply. Since water spray will not be a problem, the only protection required would be against condensation but can see the sense in your recommending a minimumum of IP44 and will go for that.
My next problem is where to find an IP44 light fitting with a maximum width of 750mm. I can, of course, google it, but I'd rather buy from a place recommended. Any ideas?

What are your local electrical wholesalers? Best call them, most are very helpful!
Failing that expect most of the sheds t have them in stock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back