Bathroom Supplies list vs trade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bathroom fitter has given us a pretty good quote (labour lower than I expected) but is quoting list price for furniture and fittings from the KB catalogue. Are they likely to be getting trade discount on those prices? Just trying to work out if wed be better off sourcing our own stuff in the sales etc.

Sponsored Links
Let's suppose that to feed his family he needs to take home £1,000, and he has other jobs in the pipeline that will pay it.

He can do it by quoting you £500 labour plus a price for materials on which he expects to make £500; or he can do it by quoting you £1000 labour and zero profit on materials. Or he could just quote you a price of £1,000 like any shopkeeper or car dealer will.

Obviously if you buy the materials yourself you will have to arrange delivery, check for missing or defective parts and sort them out yourself, take up any warranty claims with the supplier, obtain replacements for anything that doesn't fit.

But don't imagine that he will do the job and take home less than £1,000.

also if you buy anything and its wrong any extra time lost is at your expense so adds extra costs
also if your equipment is fitted correctly and fails then its your problem with further visits to remove and then another to reinstall fully at your expense as a new job

Trade price is for him to buy, and then be responsible for it getting to you and installed without damage and then for taking responsibility for any issues within a year or 2. Also any mistakes are his problem.

If you are happy with the price, leave it all to be the fitters problem and sit back and relax.

Sponsored Links
Yep, get a problem with the seal on the bath waste for example and he won't want to know - rightly so. But some fitters are happy for a customer to supply as they'll unlikely use Victoria plumbing more likely a local supplier who will invariably be more expensive/have considerably less range. Depends on the fitters and how/what they charge for supplying the fittings.

Thanks, the warranty thing makes sense and the fitter confirmed that. They said it was fine to supply myself and the labour costs wouldn't change, but if something didn't go right it would be more hassle for me, so I'll stick with their selection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back