bathroom tap leaking advice please...

8ch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
monoblock bathroom sink tap is leaking from where the two "tails" (is that what they are called?) go up into the bottom of the tap. There is also a rod for operating the waste mechanism going up through same area.Water is dripping from up in there and is running down pipes and rod....Is there any connection up there? If not could the pipes(tails) have developed a hole? or what else could be the point of leak? Any advice welcome :(

Sponsored Links
The two pipes usually screw into the bottom of the monobloc, sealing being done by an O ring. Often the O ring isn't good enough and the pipes have to be screwed firmly in.

If someone has soldered to them pipes, it can be a right pain cos they won't turn. More often than not the tap has to come out for a spanner to be applied to a part you won't reach.

The two tails are normally screwed in, they have small rubber o rings washers. May just need nipping up or relacing.

Often though, it's just the water from the basin leaking through down between the mono block/basin seal. If so, a gentle turn of the elongated hexagonal nut underneath where the tails are.

Sponsored Links
thanks to both ChrisR and tryitandsee. :)
The two pipes are fixed to the hot and cold feed pipes about five or six inches below the monoblock. To tighten them I presume I would have to undo those connections? How do I tighten a pipe without crushing it? (you may have guessed that I am not too good or confident with DIY tasks - often making things worse - hence the trepidation...!)
How do I get enough play or slack in the assemby to lift the tap up?
do I need to?
I am confident that it's not water getting between the top of the basin and through the tap hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back