Bathroom tiler: cowboy or genius?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had to remove part of the bath panel to access a leak. I managed to remove the panel but porcelain tiles cracked so I need to make good.

The mystery is identifying how the tiler stuck the tiles to the 8mm plywood panel. He did not use tile adhesive but some form of flexible white foam like adhesive which was applied in multiple points under the tile with a "gun".

This adhesive is VERY tough and flexible and it was quite a job removing the tile pieces even after I smashed them all.

I asked in a tile shop and they said this not the conventional way of sticking tiles. They even suggested it sounded like a cowboy job.

Does anyone know what this substance is so that I can use it?

Not sure if the tiler was a cowboy or a genius but it seems to do the job. :evil:

Cheers
Marco

Sponsored Links
The problem with using conventional flexible adhesive over a ply bath panel is if it flexes too much or the back/edges get moisture/water in them (quiet likely with a bath panel) it will warp, ordinary flexi adhesive is unlikely to cope with it & the tiles may fall off. Not necessarily a cowboy as his choice may have been based on the limitations of conventional flexi but ply wouldn’t have been my choice for a bath panel. I always advise using 12mm cement tile backer board as it’s rigid & will remain dimensionally stable when wet. I use it for services access panels but bath panels are not something I do personally. From your description of “foaming”, it doesn’t sound like silicone which I would have said initially & I think it unlikely to be expanding foam, difficult to tell without seeing it, can you not ask him what he used?

Richard,

Looked closer at the adhesive and it looks like foam due to the texture of the surface where it bonded but when I cut it, inside it looks smooth. You're right, it's silicone!

You're recommendation to avoid tiles on ply in the bathroom makes sense and agrees with so many other posts. Don't know why they don't do it.

Cheers,
Marco

Sponsored Links
You're recommendation to avoid tiles on ply in the bathroom makes sense and agrees with so many other posts. Don't know why they don't do it.
Well hold on there I didn’t decry WBP ply full stop; it’s still the best for floors IMO especially for total replacement :LOL: . I use it extensively & as long as you seal the back & edges, it doesn't need tanking in anything other than a wet room. Personally I would not use it for any other application than floors unless it was tanked as there are far better & more stable alternatives to ply you can use as supplied; why bother!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back