Bathroom Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been slowly 'improving' my house since buying it last year, and it's been something of a horror show with regards to how far wrong it was (and how much the surveyor missed).

Next up is the bathroom; the last owner moved this from a downstairs to upstairs (making the house two bed as opposed to three); my concerns are that the wall between the bathroom and the adjoining bedroom is probably going to be the standard basic dividing wall (plaster board?) - will this be able to have tiles affixed to it? I'm thinking not, but that's because I've not had a straight forward job in this house yet...

Cheers.
TFT

Sponsored Links
plasterboard is a great surface to tile on - no worries there.

What you do need to consider is whats against that wall. is you shower\bath or any wet area against it?

I have a similar problem.

What products would you guys recommend ?

I understand it as this:

1) Prime the plasterboard
2) Use waterproof adhesive
3) Use waterproof grout

Is this correct and which products would you use?

Yep

Prime with acrylic bond. Then follow with the appropriate adhesive\grout.

If your in a wet area, tank the area first. Waterproof adhesive\grout isn't going to waterproof the area for you!

Sponsored Links
If the pasterboard is already painted check the paint adhesion before you tile.

I have had emulsion paint come off plasterboard before.

Thanks for this; I'm still plotting out the bathroom - I did think about having the shower against that wall, but given the thinness of the walls it could make too much noise in the adjoining room; but I could re-arrange my thoughts and put the bath against the wall instead.

Oh the joys of planning a new room with limited space to play with!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back