Setting out tiles for full bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've read through the sticky post on tiling and ready various other guides as I'm going to attempt to tile the full bathroom floor to ceiling shortly.

One thing that I'm not 100% on as I can't visualise how it should be is I understand setting the tiles out so you preferably have 1/2 tile or more at the edges of the wall to reduce small cuts and slithers. The part that I'm wondering about is would you use the other half of the cut on the adjoining wall or start from the centre of the next wall and work outwards again and finish the corners with another cut to reduce having a slither at one end?

I've seen many pictures where the offcut has been used on the adjoining wall so it looks like a full tile has been used so to the eye it looks the same length as a full tile. Although most these bathrooms have just been tiling 2 walls into an internal corner so if I did this once I get to the next corner I could potentially be left with a thin cut if you get what I mean.

Would having unequal tiles going in to the internal corners be an acceptable finish, the pattern will not be brick bond just in a standard grid finish.

If I'm making no sense at all let me know and I'll try to draw a pic to explain :)

Sponsored Links
I know what you mean, so I think the tillers will.
I would look at what wall will hit you first & ensure that is lined up equally, as far as the cut goes if it leaves an equal or similar part tile at the other end I would say yes.
You can always tape the tiles in position to get an idea of what it will look like.
I'm only a DIYer, so wait for pro advice.
Good luck

I am not a tiler but did a few at home.

The problem with "half a tile or more" is that you waste the other half.

So just working it out so that "about" half a tile is better in that you can use both parts of a cut tile.
same as the bottom/top. just try to end up with reasonable sized gaps to fill in with cut tiles.

as far as the right angles go, it depends on your wall.
My bathroom is tiled from the non tap end, into a corner, along the bath, around a corner and along a wall int a corner.
There isn't much room for debate about equal sized cut tiles.

as said above - about the wall hitting you.
"Textbook correct" is not the same as looking right.

concentrate on the parts that will hit you when you sit in the bath or sit on the loo.
any part that you stare at. who cares if the bit behind the loo is "correctly equal" if it looks weird while having a pony

Tiling generally requires a degree of compromise - for example, a window on a wall will dictate how the tiles are laid out horizontally on that wall and hence how the cuts fall at the internal corners at either end. These cuts may or may not give you the look of a full tile wrapping round the internal corner - but you cant do a greta deal about this. You can use the cuts at the internal corner of the window wall to set out the return walls - but this will impact on what you get at the next internal corner. Point is - there isnt one 'right way' to do it - just varying degrees of acceptability. I always do what 'looks' best at the most obvious place.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks guys just the confirmation I needed. I was worried I'd make it look wrong but as you say it's a bit about compromising and making it look as good as possible.

always cuts into the corner unless you are absolutely sure that your walls are perfectly plumb to each other and always work towards the corners and don't start there just in case. gauge out your work first as you say to ensure that you don't get left with impossible slither cuts.
Same top and bottom really. As William says you may have windows etc to contend with so these need to be taken into consideration, but you might not be able to get an ideal set-up everywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back