Bathroom TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm looking to start revamping my bathroom. However before I start I have seen a few bathrooms (in hotels etc.) with waterproof bathroom TV's in the walls.

Has anyone on here fitted one?

If so what do you think of them? and where would you recommend purchasing one as all I have found on the web are VERY VERY expensive. :(

Sparkie (newbie) :oops:

Sponsored Links
There are a few brands now, try this site if you haven't seen it already. They are very expensive, but there are good reasons

1) niche product (although I would have one. No, two: in view of bog and in shower :LOL: )

2) you can't just go sticking any old TFT screen in your wall and using a bit of mastick.

3) it is assumed they will be going in an expensive, highly-specced designer bathroom and thus they can charge accordingly.

Now, I am pretty sure that if you are handy with perspex then you could insert such a TV from the opposite side of a stud wall with a fully-sealed "window" built into it, but it would probably steam over quite readily, and any chance of a warranty would go out of the window.

For the hassle and risks of knackering an expensive LCD TV, I would go with the built-for-purpose TVs.

Looking at that site, a 17" LCD TV for £1500... that is about what a common-or-garden 17" LCD TV sold for 2 years ago.

thats the problem i was thinking of too about the screen keep on getting steamed up, do the purpose built ones have some anti fogging device?

Sponsored Links
that might explain the cost then, hope my heated windscreen never goes on my car i'd hate to think of the cost.

Better not use it then, just in case you wear it out ;)

Wouldn't it be cheaper to knock a hole in the wall?

planenut said:
Wouldn't it be cheaper to knock a hole in the wall?
6014-thumb2.jpg

Yabba dabba doo :LOL:

Sit in the dry --- the lounge --- I mean there isn't that much on tv that one couldn't spend the odd 23.5 hrs away from it, occasionaly, until Chas-ti ty is pulling pints in Emmerdale of course, gosh she has a flair for juggling jugs !! Or did I mean a pair of .... ;)

One of the fitted wardrobes in our master bedroom has a two way smoked mirror in it. The telly is on a shelf behind it. When the telly is off it just looks like an ordinary mirror, it is clearly visible when on though. Looks very neat and tidy and the remote works OK without opening the door.

I have an ordinary 14" portable telly in my bathroom. However, I wouldn't have been comfortable doing it were it not for the fact that my bathroom is quite large - therefore it's out of the "zones", also any steam is quite thinly dispersed in the room so it doesn't fog the screen or risk damage to the set. Obvious warnings - don't touch the set itself with wet hands (that's what the remote's for), and you CANNOT have the socket in the room. My TV plug is in the adjacent bedroom with the flex running through a hole drilled in the wall.

Still not sure that is a good idea Simon! Perhaps you should get a humidity meter and check that the RH is within the limits for the TV? Usually about 85% is the maximum for consumer electronics goods. When you can see "steam", you are up near 100% as what you are seeing is water condensing out of the air rather than steam itself.

TVs do have high-voltage components inside, and in such moist air you could get arcing between the components inside.

It would be relatively safe if you got yourself a low-voltage powered LCD TV, I'm pretty sure you can get panels with an external DC power supply, working at 12V and I don't think they have anything above 12V inside them.

AdamW said:
Still not sure that is a good idea Simon! Perhaps you should get a humidity meter and check that the RH is within the limits for the TV? Usually about 85% is the maximum for consumer electronics goods. When you can see "steam", you are up near 100% as what you are seeing is water condensing out of the air rather than steam itself.

TVs do have high-voltage components inside, and in such moist air you could get arcing between the components inside.

It would be relatively safe if you got yourself a low-voltage powered LCD TV, I'm pretty sure you can get panels with an external DC power supply, working at 12V and I don't think they have anything above 12V inside them.
Extra low voltage would be safer adam.

Extra low voltage would be safer adam.

kendor, just curious are TV's available less than 12V? not being funny or anything, just I have never seen them.

Sponsored Links
Back