Bathroom Ventilation / Mould / Dampness

I have a 6” ceiling fan fitted on a 7m PVC ducting
There are very few fans sold for domestic use which will work effectively on 7m of duct. Those that do will tend to be excessively noisy and will most likely be inline centrifugal types, not the sort which mount in the ceiling.
7m of smooth wall duct will reduce the effectiveness of the fan by at least 50%. If using that flexible spiral ducting, it will be much less, possibly only 25% of the original rating.

As this is a bungalow, and the bathroom obviously has at least one external wall (with the window in it), surely the duct length could be reduced significantly?

You also need another vent so that air can enter the room. The usual method is to have a gap under the door, and position the fan as far from the door as possible, so you get a decent airflow across the whole room. For a 6 inch round fan, this would translate to a 25mm gap under a typical size door. (Normally it's about 10mm gap for a 4 inch round fan).

The fan position is critical - if the fan is located close to where air enters the room, it will be useless.
With a properly sized and installed extractor, it shouldn't be necessary to open the window - in some instances, an open window can actually reduce the effectiveness of the extractor, depending on the relative positioning of the window & extractor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the great advice.

I think pretty much I have done what most of you have recommended.

My fan is most definitely more than adequate for the bathroom (I did the check on the TLC website and brought the most powerful extracting fan I could find!)

My bathroom isn’t that big 210x170cm

I will certainly be putting the PVC duct through the wall rather than on the long 7m run to the fascia.
When it was installed, I asked my electrician if that would be a problem he dismissed it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back