Bathroom wall tiling question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

I am in the process of planning a new bathroom installation and would appreciate your help and guidance. I am going to attach a photograph later, but in the meantime, I shall try using words to describe my question.

The existing bath with wall mounted shower is to be replaced with a new bath and new wall mounted shower.

There is a wall adjacent to the shower that has a large mirror running horizontally along the top half of the wall up to the celing (from about 5 foot high up to the ceiling). Below the horizontal mirror there is a tiled area. Both the mirror and tiles extend all the way along the wall in question.

If possible, I do not intend removing the existing tiles or mirror as I fear they will break up the existing plasterboard they are mounted on. This is something that I wish to avoid if possible as I don't want to renew the wall.

The question relates to the installation of new tiles on the wall.

Is it generally possible to mount new tiles (probably porcelain) over existing wall tiles and existing wall mirror?

Thanks

Need Help

on the top half of the wall and below it there is an area which is tiled. The silicon that seals the bath to the tiles is mouldy in some areas which I propose to remove.

Sponsored Links
i knw u can tile over exisiting tiles, but tiling over the mirror - u gotta be crazy. take the mirror down .....

do the job right and remove ALL the old tiles and if your not going to take my advice at least remove the mirror.

Yeah,

Why not go all the way - rip the old tiles and mirror out, rip ou the plasterboard, replace with aquapanel and make a real job of it with Kerdi.

No sense it cutting corners you only want to do this job once :)

Sponsored Links
Guys after a review, the mirror can easily come off.

Is there an easy way to remove tiles without causing too much damage to the plasterboard underneath?

In the event that I remove all the tiles and the mirror (to reveal plasterboard), what product is best to adhere aquaboard or similar to existing plasterboard. I believe I would need a product with quite alot of "body"

if as they should be the tiles are stuck on well then youll be changing the plasterboard, dont worry its very cheap

And if you fit the new board(s) with care, using jointing plaster where needed, you will probably have a lovely flat surface to tile on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back