BATHROOM WALLS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some excellent advice on here but, having read many posts, I am a bit concerned over plans for my bathroom.

Basically, 'er indoors wants the whole thing tiled floor to ceiling [large thin tiles]

Now the tiling isn't an issue on 3 of the walls as they are solid and won't present a problem once properly prepared.

BUT, one of the walls is going to have to be brought out slightly. That will entail studwork and then a suitable covering on which to tile. Options are;

(1) plasterboard
(2) aquapanel
(3) ply

Given that the whole wall will be tiled, I am thinking plasterboard may not be suitable as the weight may be too much. What would be best??

Also, the shower will be in the corner so it will be on one solid wall and adjoin the new 'built-out' wall. What will be the best method of sealing before tiling. I have read on here about 'tanking' kits. Will that entail doing the solid wall with a kit or just the new wall?

Sorry to ask so many questions but, until I read this topic, it's like the TV Times - I never realised there was so much in it [for those old enough to remember that advert!!]

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Given that the whole wall will be tiled, I am thinking plasterboard may not be suitable as the weight may be too much. What would be best??
I would use plasterboard
Have a look here http://www.bathroom-association.org/quest.aspScroll down to the bit on tiling on plasterboard.

Also, the shower will be in the corner so it will be on one solid wall and adjoin the new 'built-out' wall. What will be the best method of sealing before tiling. I have read on here about 'tanking' kits. Will that entail doing the solid wall with a kit or just the new wall?

You would need to tank both walls and tape the corners with a kit like this http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=9005-101

Some of the guys on here use the above method and others will use aqua panel or backerboards,I think both are equally sufficient but find plasterboard easier to work with.

Thanks for the reply and the links.

Someone in the BUILDING section has stated plasterboard walls in wet areas are a no-no but I am sure that, as you say, if properly prepared and then tanked they will be okay.

May have to decide if aquapanel costs are prohibitive else I may as well use aquapanel for the entire wall so as to ensure no issues with the plasterboard as regards weight//water damage.

Your reply makes perfect sense.

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back