Bathroom waste issues - any bright ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm remodelling my bathroom and looking for some advice on sorting out the waste connections. The bathroom currently has a bath, a separate shower, a bidet, a basin and a toilet.

The toilet waste goes outside to an elbow then horizontally around 2m at a slight drop to the vertical soil stack.

Each of the others has a separate 40mm waste pipe inside which leads outside and they then all T into the same 40mm pipe on the outside which goes horizontally around 3m at a slight drop and then joins into the toilet waste.

(see pictures below)

My understanding is that each waste should connect directly to a soil pipe and they shouldn't all join into the single 40mm waste pipe on the outside. Is that right?

I am going to be getting rid of the bidet and also moving the position of the shower so that it is in line with the bath.

What I want to know is whether I should make any changes to the existing waste or whether I simply block off the bidet waste and existing shower waste and T in the new shower to the external 40mm pipe like everything else is? If not what should I do short of moving the whole stack?

I’m not sure who did this work and clearly this is not an original bathroom but currently everything drains ok. I wouldn’t say it is brilliant and drainage sometimes slows down a lot but after clearing (?hairs) with caustic soda it is fine again for months. One of my concerns is that after moving the shower, the waste for the bath will run underneath the shower tray so if there are any problems with this in future, access will be difficult. The bath waste also currently seems to sag a bit inside (under the floorboards) and exits the bathroom at a high level (only just below floorboard level).

If keeping the current system is not a good idea then the simplest thing that I could think of would be to replace the elbow where the toilet soil pipe exits the house with a T and extend the soil pipe along the same line as the current 40mm pipe then T everything into the extended soil pipe. It would be a very long horizontal soil pipe but would this be ok?

Any advice or bright ideas on how to sort this with the minimum disruption would be great.

Thanks in advance

IMG_20170530_164158edit.jpg

IMG_20170530_163639.jpg
IMG_20170530_163636.jpg

Sponsored Links
use 50 mm for outside horizontal run,and shower /basin /bath all separately going in { as now but in the new positions ). you do not need to have each one seperately going into the stack. good idea to fit access on the end furthest from the stack. looks like you have this now.

Do you mean 50mm pipes inside too?

I've just measured the outside 40mm run and it is 2.5m and drops 5cm so less than the 1 in 40 required. If anything changing to 50mm will make the drop slightly less.

Is there a problem with extending the horizontal soil pipe and connecting everything directly into this? It would allow a bit more of a drop as the current 40mm pipe has to run above this.

Inside the bath waste runs about 2.2m, the basin waste about 3m so if I just used 50mm pipe the total run for each would be around 4.5m in 50mm (regs are 4m i think) plus around 3m in the horizontal soil pipe. Is this going to be too much?

Sponsored Links
my post says outside horizontal in 50 mm. inside bath 40 ,shower 40, basin can be 32…but if you have 40 that's OK. hard to judge on photo but appears to me that if you extend the soil pipe ,at that angle, isnt it going to be higher than the bath /shower wastes ? if it works now it will only be better in 50mm. changing from 40 to 50 isn't going to alter the fall , it will be on the same centre line .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back