bathroom worktop damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm in the process of fitting a melamine covered worktop in the bathroom.
Its cut to length and there is some damage to the front contour at one end (caused by me I'm pretty sure when it was bashed on the floor)

There is only the smallest indentation which would be hardly noticeable but the melamine has cracked lengthwise. There are two cracks on the contour starting from the edge and about 1/2" to 3/4" in length.

My question is "how to hide the cracks" if this is possible. I'm sure someones done this before.

If you can help I would be grateful for advice before I have to tell the wife. :cry:

In addition, after cutting the worktop and sealing the edge with pda. What is the best adhesive to glue the melamine edgeing in place.

Sponsored Links
stet19 said:
There is only the smallest indentation which would be hardly noticeable but the melamine has cracked lengthwise. There are two cracks on the contour starting from the edge and about 1/2" to 3/4" in length.

My question is "how to hide the cracks" if this is possible. I'm sure someones done this before.
Can't help you there. If I tried to hiode a ding I'm sure my customers would kill me! So when it happens (not often) I just replace the top. Sorry.

stet19 said:
In addition, after cutting the worktop and sealing the edge with PVA. What is the best adhesive to glue the melamine edgeing in place.
Make sure that it is "exterior grade" (D3) PVA as that is relatively waterproof when it dries. You can use either contact adhesive (Evostick, etc) - apply to both faces and leave to dry before joining - or D3 PVA again and use a warm iron to apply your edging. Finish carefully with a flat file.

Scrit

As for the damage, worktop is so cheap that you ought to buy a new bit.

Thank for the advice gentlemen. Although I didn't think £60+ was all that cheap :eek: Never mind I'll just have to be more careful next time :oops:

Sponsored Links
edited because my memory seems to be confused on worktop prices :oops:

I'm sorry, skyblue, I'd like to post a picture but I cant follow the instructions for posting an image.

Send it to the administrator?
Put the image somewhere on an accessable web server? and send the address to the administrator?

I'm confused. Is it just me? :confused: Probably

send the picture to [email protected] and they should upload it for you, or open an online photo booth, like the photobucket or snapfish etc then just paste the link and we can go straight to the pic

Thanks for that, things are looking up. As you can see the damage is on the end that butts onto the wall and is in the least noticeable place.

The flattening of the shaped edge is almost imperceptible (it seems to have swollen out since the damage was done.

I cant cut the end off as it has already been cut to length.

Any advice would be welcome.

P1010005.jpg

P1010007.jpg

Easy answer is to replace but as its a whitish vanity unit you could get away with the following.
Get a stanley blade,not the triangular blades but the square ones, like razor blades and at a 45 degree angle to the crack follow the line of the crack so you are forming a 45 degree valley which will open the crack up slightly.
Get some super glue and run a very small bead down the length of the crack, about 0.5mm, allow to cure then build up till slightly proud of the crack, then very carefully sand this back with wet n dry taking care not to touch the worktop, once flush wet n dry up to about 1500.
This will seal the crack and make it slightly less visible but most importantly will prevent it from blowing.
Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back