New Oak Worktop Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We had our lengths of Oak worktop delivered last week (620x40mm - 2x4m lengths and 1x3m length) and they were all cut and stored flat in their new home as instructed.

When I came to fit them yesterday I noticed quite a bit of splitting which wasn't evident when they arrived. This I have put down to the acclimatisation process of the wood and I'm not unduly concerned as the splitting is not too bad and will be sorted out during finishing.

I am a little more concerned though that many of the glue lines between the staves are cracking (some have gone right through the board) and I'm worried that the overall strength of the board may be compromised.

Having never had wooden worktops before from this supplier can someone advise if this is normal and, if so, what they would do i.e. leave, fill etc?

All advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is not normal, you can expect a small amount of shrinkage/expansion over the entire width but there should be no cracks in the end grain or between the staves. I would get a rep out from your supplier and insist on them being changed.

What did you pay for them as this may give some indication of their quality or lack of!

Jason

Thanks for the reply Jason,

We bought them from a large online retailer and paid £870'ish for ...

1x3m, & 2x4m boards of 620x40mm.

I don't know whether this is good or not.

I've taken some photos of the damage and emailed them asking either for replacements (of better quality) or a refund.

I'll let you know how things go.

Price is about right for good quality ones, last one I bought 4200x650x40 was about £300 + VAT.

Can you post the pics here?

Jason

Sponsored Links
Sure ...

The company contacted me today to ask for the same images and I'm still waiting for their response.

dsc00078.jpg

dsc00079.jpg

dsc00080.jpg

dsc00081.jpg

dsc00082.jpg

dsc00083.jpg

dsc00084.jpg

dsc00085.jpg

dsc00086.jpg

dsc00087.jpg

dsc00088.jpg

dsc00089.jpg

dsc00090.jpg

dsc00091.jpg

dsc00092.jpg

dsc00094.jpg

dsc00095.jpg

Terrible :cry:

The quality of the oak looks quite poor as well - poor colour match, sap wood, large knotts, wild grain etc. at the price you paid I would expect a lot better.

Not the best close ups but they should look like these with acrylic laquer.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/dellas kitchen/?action=view&current=della16.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/dellas kitchen/?action=view&current=della17.jpg

Or this if oiled.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/Kitchens/?action=view&current=thea2.jpg

Jason

I've just looked at the end grain of some of the boards not yet fitted and they've been fabricated from 2 staves of 40mmx20mm rather than the majority which are 40mmx40mm and the cracks in these are worse.

Yours look so much better quality that I guess I should push the supplier for a refund and source them elsewhere, what do you reckon?

Thanks for all the advice, if you get stuck with electrics at any time just let me know ;)

I would go for the refund, if they replace them it will only be with the same quality(not).

Jason

Just to update ...

The managing director from the supplier came down to take a look and then promptly refunded the full amount.

They are collecting them this week and will take the matter up with their manufacturer I guess ... I can't fault their customer service they were extremely apologetic, helpful and prompt.

Thanks everyone for the help.

exelent megawatt
from the start i couldnt believe the quality
fully seasoned wood mixed with green wood
obviously bad or no quality control

did you think of asking for any freebies in lue of the trouble youve had ;)

Out of interest who was the company? I should be buying some soon and want to avoid the problems you have experienced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back