bathrooms, grout, silicone, window edging strip etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to say a big thankyou to all the replies I've had to queries so far. I'm fairly new to the forum and have found it both very helpful and fascinating too. In case anyone thinks that sad, I do have other interests too.

My bathroom tiling project is coming on well, I think I'm winning. I know I didn't need to tank the aquapanel but the extra cost was quite small (£25.00) when compared with cost of tiles etc.

Understand it is a good idea to use silicone between adjoining walls especially if they are of different construction. Read in an old thread that someone uses silicone then grout on top of that. reason is to provide a neat finish. Sounds good to me. Is this OK? Are there any issues of adhesion between grout and silicone?

Should I silicone the corners (and bit above the shower tray) before or after grouting the tiles?

Also, in Topps, the guy tried to sell me a grout sealant. I resisted but did wonder whether this is a good idea too in light of what I've read here about water passing through 'water resistant grout'.

I'm onto tiling around the windows now and have a few queries regarding the edging strips and finishing off here. Is the edging strip designed to be used on the vertical walls or can you use it on the window surfaces? I can't quite get my head around how the mitre cuts will work. I think the mitre cuts will be more difficult if I use it within the window surfaces

Also, does one put in a line of grout between tiles and the edgeing strip? Or should the tiles go right up to the strip?

I have 6mm tiles and 6mm strip. One tile surface will be a cut one where it meets strip - the one coming up the wall. I am just trying to plan for the neatest finish.

Thanks once again in anticipation of any good tips.

Sponsored Links
as far as edging is concerned i personally put the tiles right up to the strip, but i can see a problem here, you have 6mm tiles and a 6mm strip, the guy at store should hae sold you bigger strip, as soon as you put adhesive on the tile will not be as flush as you would like, then the other problem occurs, if its a cut tile it will show and make the whole job, however well you have done it look a little poor.

the mitre cuts are straight forward, you can actually prchase a mitre cutter for plastic trims, and the trims can go where ever in the world you see fit. not just for ledges.

grout sealant is ok for helping keeping it clean not to be used or mistaken for a waterproof barrier.

as of the silicone issue, i have never used silicone underneath grout, if silicone is needed it goes on top.

and it can be advisalbe using the silicone where ever adjoining walls meet in the shower area, but for peace of mind use it where ever you think its needed

As Jefoss says really. Get some deeper trim.

Grout first then silicone. Otherwise the sand in the grout is liable to scratch it when you are feeding it into the joints.

What I generally do is fit all the tiles on the walls around the window and overhand them by say 1/2mm, so, in essence you have narrowed the window space slightly, (this point is a good one to try and "square up" the window/tiling). Then i measure and cut all the trims and fit with masking tape. Then tile.

Hope this helps - can we have some pics when you have done?

My bathroom tiling project is coming on well, I think I'm winning. I know I didn't need to tank the aquapanel but the extra cost was quite small (£25.00) when compared with cost of tiles etc.
You would have saved a packet just using plasterboard and tanking that. But it's better to be over prepared than under.

Understand it is a good idea to use silicone between adjoining walls especially if they are of different construction. Read in an old thread that someone uses silicone then grout on top of that. reason is to provide a neat finish. Sounds good to me. Is this OK?
No reason why not if that's what you want to do. You'd have to ensure that the silicone is applied and left pretty square into the corner though.

Should I silicone the corners (and bit above the shower tray) before or after grouting the tiles?
Ideally after grouting.

Also, in Topps, the guy tried to sell me a grout sealant. I resisted but did wonder whether this is a good idea too in light of what I've read here about water passing through 'water resistant grout'.
As mentioned, it's ok to help keep the grout clean. As you've used Aquapanel AND tanked (respect for spending the extra to achieve a good job by the way), there's no need to worry about water penetration damaging the wall or leaking thorough and causing damage elsewhere.

Is the edging strip designed to be used on the vertical walls or can you use it on the window surfaces? I can't quite get my head around how the mitre cuts will work. I think the mitre cuts will be more difficult if I use it within the window surfaces.
Use it where you want.

Also, does one put in a line of grout between tiles and the edgeing strip? Or should the tiles go right up to the strip?
It's designed to hide the cut edge, so tile up to the trim.

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to silicone a corner then grout over the top of the sealant?
If you're happy with a final grout finish in the corner and confident there will be no movement why use silicone first?

Not sure I understand the benefit of this extra work.

If you're happy with a final grout finish in the corner and confident there will be no movement why use silicone first?
You can never really guarantee that the corner joint will be sound by just using grout. Sealing the corner joint with silicone will prevent any water from penetrating to the walls. Grouting over the silicone has only one use - to hide the silicone that is a slightly different colour/finish. It won't harm any to grout over silicone to achieve a uniform finish. If the grout cracks due to movement it won't matter because the silicone will prevent water damage.
There'd be too much movement around baths or showers to do this, but in wall corners it's not a problem. Having said this, I wouldn't bother - I'd just leave the silicone as is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back