Batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found NiCad's fine, and got caught out with Nmh (would not hold charge) but not used lithium iron. So is it any good?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Ni-cd's were the tool battery for their ability to deliver a high output and they can be cycled up to 1000 times +, NiMh's were never never able to emulate them but never the less the main brands could hold there charge, there capacity being higher than Ni-cd's Pro Rata. The li-Ion battery I have now is certainly similar to my Ni-cd's in performance, whether they last is to be seen...pinenot :)

nicads have a memory effect so need a careful charging regime and need a 95-98% discharge before a full charge no part charge or part discharge so no way off knowing how much power you have at the start off the day
where as both nmh and li-ions can be charged as and when you like
and li-ions are by far the lightest at less than half the weight off a nicad

Li-ion is the future! At least until a lighter, more powerful, probably LiFePo4 future comes along...

Sponsored Links
in the weight stakes i have 1,5 and 1.7 ah in nicad ryobis i also have 2.4 and 4ah li-ion ryobis
and surprising the 4ah are lightest followed by the 2.4ah then the nicads as expected but heavier

the li-ions actually seem to be 20-40% more efficient at taking the power after a charge using it better and holding onto it better
in other wards a 4ah li-ion will be equivalent to around 3x 1.7ah nicads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back