Battery dead, PS light (among others!) coming on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've just been out to start my car (Citroen C1, 2012 plate) for the first time in a couple of weeks due to lockdown. Even before then, I've been working from home since March, so only used my car once a week or so - for short journeys of two or three miles.

Last time I used it, a couple of weeks ago, everything was fine.

Tonight, it wouldn't start - hardly any power so I assumed the battery was dead and got a jump start from my neighbour. It took a fair bit of starting and the jump leads were hot to handle afterwards.

But all seemed to be OK, so I went for a drive of 20 miles or so to stick some more power into the battery.

Early in the journey, the handbrake light (!) appeared on my dashboard, along with the ABS light. Then went off, then came back on again. Whenever this happened, the speedo needle dropped to zero.

I kept driving, wondering if the brakes had seized a little due to lack of use. Then the P/S light came on. Great!

Again, the lights kept coming on on and off. Eventually, they all went out, so I thought I was OK. Then same again. Steering seemed a tiny bit heavy but not too bad.

I got home and reverse-parked my car, noting the steering was pretty heavy. I turned off the ignition, then tried to start the engine again - nothing. Didn't so much as turn over.

Can anyone please let me know what's going on? Is it just that my battery's knackered or could it be something else? As I say, all was perfect last time I drove the car two weeks ago.

If it is the battery, should I try hooking it up to a battery charger, or will it need replacing? Or do you think it's something altogether more serious (hope not!)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Probably the battery, but also check the charge voltage with a meter once you do get the engine running. It should read over 14v, around 14.5v with engine running - if not the alternator has failed.

Do quickly get the battery on charge as a matter of urgency.

Probably the battery, but also check the charge voltage with a meter once you do get the engine running. It should read over 14v, around 14.5v with engine running - if not the alternator has failed.

Do quickly get the battery on charge as a matter of urgency.

Thanks so much for the reply. So you do think it's worth charging the battery rather than buying a new one? Do batteries die when left without being used (much) then?

Sponsored Links
All the items you mentioned need a top rate battery to keep them sweet, and batteries do fail all of a sudden these days - unlike batteries of old.
However, do Harry's tests if you can as this gives a good indication of the alternator output.
Personally I'd say the age of the battery is very much against it now.
John :)

Thanks so much for the reply. So you do think it's worth charging the battery rather than buying a new one? Do batteries die when left without being used (much) then?

Any battery left on a modern car, unused and without being charged will discharge. If the battery is also getting old as well, its capacity will be limited, so no great surprise if left that it goes flat. Yes they can suddenly die completely, with little warning.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I don't have a meter to check the voltage, alas. So is it worth trying to recharge the battery, or should I just get a new one?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I don't have a meter to check the voltage, alas. So is it worth trying to recharge the battery, or should I just get a new one?

Nothing to lose by trying charging first, but expect to pay for a new battery. Best buy a cheap meter, they can be had for £5 - much cheaper than paying someone and it is DIY ;)

If you can get the car to a friendly motor factor - even Halfords - they'll be delighted to test it for you...and even more delighted to sell you a new one.
I don't think the car needs it's battery coded, but it's still worth asking.
John :)

What an amazing forum this is! Thanks so much for all your help - I really appreciate it. Faith in humanity restored!

Not that it's needed, but yeah battery issue. Cars are not in my good books this week :evil:

I have three cars in family, and since March hardly used, so been using a couple of Lidi smart chargers to keep battery topped up, and out of interest used an energy meter so I could see when charging complete.

What became clear was it takes a long time to recharge the battery, time not miles, talking about days, not hours, the first bit would go in fast, but at the 0.8 amp rate could take 10 days before it finally dropped to 0.1 amp rate, so your not going to drive for that long, only option is a smart charger for an extended time.

Sponsored Links
Back