battery problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,Can anyone help me with a query? I have a seat ibiza with a new battery which keeps going flat. I have removed the stereo which I thought was the problem,but turns out it wasn`t.I`ve put new glow plugs in and had the alternator checked but nothing works. Tonight I had no lights till I bumped up the kerb and they all flashed on but kept flickering.Is it an electrical problem? I`m all out of ideas. :confused:

Sponsored Links
When did this start happening ? does it coincide with something new being fitted e.g. alarm, immobiliser etc... ?

Are you sure the new battery is not duff ?

Why was the battery replaced....was it because the old one was also going flat ?

If the car is stood overnight is that enough to flatten the battery ? if so maybe you could disconnect the battery overnight once it's charged and see if you get different results the next morning.

How old is the car? It appears that something is draining the battery. You mentioned the tail lights. Check the earth connections to the lights. Also check the main battery earth connections. There may be one to the bodywork or onto the gearbox housing.

thanks wanleg and chapmanbilly, I`ll try your suggestions as soon as I collect the car-I had to leave it at work as the battery drained while worked and I was only gone for 5 hours! :mad:

Sponsored Links
I presume it was once OK and then something happened to drain the battery and lead you to fit a new battery. Whatever it was that was draining the battery appears to be still doing so.
So, what electrical thing was fitted/adjusted/renewed just before you had the problem ? Check it out.
I further presume that when the new battery was fitted it was fully charged so whatever's draining it takes a fair amount of power. Now, if the new battery is not being recharged enough you may also have a problem with your alternator - get it checked at a garage.

Hi BazzaS, The alternator is fine and I`ve not done anything with the electrics since I`ve had it as it is quite old and not really worth wasting money on,which is why I cant figure it out. It`s been going on for a while now this is actually the second battery I`ve had and it`s still happening.I`ve just charged the battery and all is fine at the mo so i`ll see what happens overnight.

I have seen alternators go wrong where they charge the battery OK but discharge the battery when idle. If you disconnect a battery terminal and connect in a fused 10A multimeter set to the DC current range between the battery terminal and the lead you disconnected what does it read? Whatever you do, don't connect a current meter across the battery as it will go bang (and pop the 10A fuse)!! Don't try to start the car either without re-connecting the battery properly.
Then just disconnect things like the alternator, remove fuses from the fuse box etc to see which make a difference.

I agree with Spark 123. I've had 2 alternators that have lost a diode and drained the battery. Try disconnecting the alternator and leaving the battery connected. If it holds a charge then one of the diodes in the diode bridge (in the alternator) have failed.

Quite common for the resistor pack on the back of the alternator to die. Not expensive to replace and usually just a couple of screws hold it on

Could be worth checking the earth connections to the bodywork and engine are sound and clean. A high resistance there will give symptoms of a flat battery if it can't pass enough current to turn the starter, and may stop the battery charging fully. The rest of the electrics can seem OK regarding voltages etc. once the engine is running and the alternator is supplying everything but still not charging the battery.
Fits with the no lights and bumping the car up a kerb as well - a bit of movement finding a sweet spot on the connection that works - well, sort of for a while.

It's not unknown for a brand new battery to be faulty either

Sponsored Links
Back