Baumatic cooker hood lights - only one not working..why?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only one of my Baumatic BT39SS cooker hood lights is not working - I have taken off the filter and it looks like the wires are connected correctly. The one the main supply goes into is working but the one that feeds off this does not...any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's a problem in the bulb holder, maybe due to a little burning / arcing.
Very careful how you test this now......look at the old bulb though. Any burning signs on its pip?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, thanks.... I'm not that useless at DIY!! :D
It might have helped if you had said that in your original post. With the power switched off screw up a pice of scotch bright & screw it into the lamp holder for a few turns,it should clean the lamp contacts. Ensure you blow out the loose bits of pad that are left behind.

Thanks John and JJ.
I have thrown the old bulb away but I think it did have a sign of a spot of burning around the collar. Do you think I should then try and clean the bulb holder with the scotch bright as suggested then try again?
K

Sure but make certain the electric is completely off!
Was the bulb an SES (small edison screw) type with one terminal on its pip?
Look inside the bulb holder....you'll see one centre terminal and one side terminal that have to contact the bulb. These must be clean, and sometimes the side one doesn't make contact because it needs bending in a little with a fine screwdriver.
Take great care with this, and blow out any dusty debris that remains after the cleaning.
I would doubt if you could buy a new holder unfortunately.
John :)

Thanks - just needed to bend the side terminal a bit.. all sorted!
Thanks both for your help. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back