Baxi 105 e leaking diverter pluger seal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps, as the title, this boiler is 15 years old, and has a constant drip from the converter valve plunger,I top the system up each day , I have removed the solenoid and the little valve attached to the converter to see exactly what the problem is. I am not qualified to remove the boiler and change the valve, nor does the boiler warrant any large repair bill. Is there something that can be added to the system via a radiator to help seal the valve ,but not jam the plunger from moving, or any other simple solution please?
Regards Keith

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi Ian, I dont think its the part you show, working from the front of the boiler, there are two electrical switch boxs in black plastic cases, I removed the left one (the problem one) and behind that there is the diaphram which is moved with a plunger from the converter valve. The stainless plunger moves in and out when the tap is switched on/off to push the diaphram. It is leaking from the rubber grommet that seals the converter valve to the plunger, I would say the seal is about 5mm diameter and a 3mm hole for the plunger. Regards Keith

Hi Ian, I have just looked at the link again and that may be the unit.I am at work so I cant look at my boiler until next week.
Regards
Keith

Sponsored Links
most likely is that , it is very common and easy enough to change , just drain the boiler and make sure you cover the pcb housing with a plastic bag and a towel before changing it over dont let any water any where near the pcb housing

Thanks Ian, if the part you showed is the one I require, I am sure that I could not get a spanner in the area to undo the olives on the housing, even the smallest spanner I would not be able to turn the olive, does this sound about right?
Regards
Keith

nope it does not have any olives, you turn the water off drain the boiler, remove the two small pipes on the diaphragm housing, slacken the two retaining screw then remove the housing, you then slacken the front end seal with a spanner and replace everything in reverse order, it is an easy job but if you dont feel comfortable get an RGI that knows the boiler, they will be able to do it very easily

Hi Ian, I have had a look at my boiler and found my service manual. Please can you confirm that we are on the same area of the boiler. ? The leak is behind the DHW pressure differential valve, it drips from the brass housing that it sits in. Looking at the brass housing front, does that bit unscrew,? and what type of spanner fits it?, as it will need to be undone from the front of the boiler not the side?
Regards
Keith

yes that is the right part, you need to remove the diaphragm housing, they are easily removed

Hi Ian, an update on the job. I have now a drip free boiler!, It is a 105e "Instant" boiler, so I gave you the wrong details, the difference in the bit that leaked ,is that mine has a fork spring clip holding the diaphragm in place, the other type has bolts. So, thanks for your advice, and pointing my in the right direction.
Regards
Keith

thanks for letting us know Keith, yes the instant is a different part.also be aware for future reference that if you ever need to replace the PCB the instant and the standard one are not interchangeable.

Thanks Ian. Re. the same boiler, an old problem on it, needs attention, not connected to the diaphragm one. It constantly drips from the overflow pipe to the outside, I think it needs re-pressurising?, I have used a foot pump to bring the gauge up to 2.5bar, but that only sorts it out for a short while. Any advice please?.
Regards
Keith

lots of posts on here about how to re-charge your expansion vessel, make sure you follow ALL the steps, you MUST leave a drain point open as you re-charge the vessel or you are wasting your time.

Thanks Ian. Re. the same boiler, an old problem on it, needs attention, not connected to the diaphragm one. It constantly drips from the overflow pipe to the outside, I think it needs re-pressurising?, I have used a foot pump to bring the gauge up to 2.5bar, but that only sorts it out for a short while. Any advice please?.
Regards
probably be easier for you to fit a external expansion vessel as it could save a lot of hassle ;) , have you a lot of free space above the boiler ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back