Heatline C28 Leaking diverter valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a leak somewhere on the diverter valve on a Heatline C28 boiler. Is this a common fault. It looks like its between the valve and the valve motor. When the central heating is on the drip will eventually stop, but if someone was to run a bath then the drip will begin again. When the heating goes off in the evening the drip will restart. This sometimes causes the pressure to drop to zero so the flow filler line has to be used to bring the pressure back up before the boiler starts next morning. The boiler is about 3 years old.

Any ideas?

I have experience of valves on hydraulic systems and have replaced seals and spindles etc. If someone was to remove the valve could this be done? and how long would it take an engineer to remove the valve?

A service kit is £25, a new motor is £55 and a new valve is £110. Does anyone know anywhere cheaper?

Regards

Andy

Sponsored Links
Andy
Can't help, but YOU have helped me, as I shut down my own C28 at midnight after spotting water leaking out of the bottom of the boiler. On opening up (after shutting off and isolating electrics) and investigating, I too seem to have a leak from the diverter valve/motor area. Don't think it's been going on long, but there's a 'dirty mark' on the inside casing acting as evidence of where water has been running from! I happened to spot the water pressure plummet to 1.0 bar just as I spotted the leak - about a cup full of water had gathered in a bowl that just happened to be on the surface underneath, so that was an indication of how long the leak had been going on.
Thanks for the prices - I've been on the www and found a list of suppliers in the Bolton area, but nothing about prices (and you wrote in Jan so must be fairly current). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not expensive (broke at present) but with two young children in the house, no heating or hot water is not an option (must be sorted by end of play tomorrow).
But I, too, am suspecting a common fault (likewise the cycling of heat, and the reduction in flow of hot water and suddenly reverting to cold - does this all smack of diverter valve problems?)

Regards (and good luck to us both)
Steve

Hi
I have had the same problem with my Heatline c28 boiler, water got into the motor on the front of the diverter valve causing the two 2 amp fuses to blow on the PCB, replaced them and run the boiler, it would not get up to temperature on the heating side, kept hearing a clicking sound from the motor which in turn kept cutting the boiler out, checked the motor and found this one to be rather burned with a nasty burning smell accociated (water ingressed through the spade connections) Supplier told me a new diverter was £130 + vat and a motor was £78 + vat but then suggested a replacement kit for the diverter £30 + vat and a new motor, carefully stripped out the old kit from the diverter at the front and replaced the pin and the O rings along with the new motor, topped the system up and all seems ok at the moment. This problem seems to be quite common. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
tally240153

Hi,
I've had a similar problems with my boiler. The motor got burnt out because of the leak. So I've got a replacement kit. Tally240153, how did you remove the old kit from the diverter? Did you have to take the whole unit out or did you just manage to unscrew the old part and then replace like for like.
For anybody else here who has the same problem. This motor switches the boiler from hot water and/or central heating. Thankfully the default setting is the central heating. So to get it to work just disconnect the motor and the central heating will work.

Thanks,

Cuillin1

Sponsored Links
I've never seen the kit tbh so thanks for that. It has always annoyed me that the whole valve requires changing just for that screw in plastic spindle seal.

if this is the same valve on this as on the GW betacom C which is likely then they have updated the DV gland from a single to a double oring seal. The new kit should look different to the old one(its slightly bigger-sticking out wise). Its very easy to change as it faces forewards. The valve head asfair is a standard elbi head so shop around as this is fitted to numerous boiler models.

Thisa is a very common fault on Heatline boilers because they are cheap to buy.

That results in them being fitted by cheap installers who dont clean out the system.

Tony

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE HEATLINE BOILERS
Mine is 18 months old The divertor valve leaked overnight, flooded the utility knocking out the boiler
Emergency plumber says the valves leak (diverter kit to reseal; £20) and that the main PCB is damaged (£206 + VAT) + fitting
Reading this site I am not the only one with this problem
THIS IS A MAJOR DESIGN FAULT

Customer care quote 12 month warranty and deny any responsibility

THIS BOILER IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE AS IT BLOWS UP IN 18 MONTHS
VERY UNIMPRESSED WITH HEATLINE
DO NOT BUY :evil:

Cheap ****e nothing more to say other than 18months is pretty good going for a heatline

John18, you seem not to have understood the situation with Heatline boilers.

They are sold cheaply and those who buy cheap do not pay for a professional installation which includes properly cleaning the system.

The Heatline boilers contail the same components as other boilers and on a properly cleaned system will last for 10 years or longer!

I charge £840 to fit a Vaillant. I also charge £840 to fit a Heatline! That's because there is the same amount of work involved with either.

Your boiler has leaked because the water was dirty. You probably had it fitted for £300 and those who do it for that price never power flush the system and probably don't even have the power flushing equipment and have not been on the course.

Tony

Agree with Agile my Heatline S12 is more than 10 years old it's drained and filled with an inhibitor every 2 - 3 years and has a magnaclean on it, the diverter valve has just started to leak 40 quid for a universal repair kit.

Thanks for that reassurance for Heatline owners.

But it is not going to help those who buy a budget boiler and have it installed very cheaply without any cleaning of the system.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back