Baxi 105e CH Temperature Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently posted a thread regarding whether it made sense under the current economic climate to replace my aging but working Baxi105e boiler, the consensus here was that these are decent boilers and that its unlikely that I would realize any significant savings to warrant replacing it with a modern more efficient condensing boiler , I also had a few heating engineers come round and essentially said similar, coupled with other research I've done I decided to stick with the old boy and redirect the money into updating the controls and insulation etc.

So, currently I have the CH temperature control set to approx. 70 degrees, the temp control dial is in the 6 O'clock position, we then use the Honeywell CM927 to either have the programme kick in at the required temperature/time or if we are in the house we sometimes just leave it to manual and then switch off as appropriate , there are two single radiators which both have the TRV in the full open position so that when the CM927 gets to the required room temp is tells the boiler to turn off, this is what the installer told me was the best way.

Whilst researching I came across a number of forum posts (not just on this forum) that seemed to indicate that ideally in winter you set the CH Temp to Max, and indeed Baxi's own documentation states this, if I did this is there anything to be gained in terms of fuel efficiency or am I ultimately over the course of a winter using more fuel and crucially potentially stressing the boiler out which may shorten its lifespan?

Also, I noticed something which I hadn't seen before, when the CH is ON and I then turn a hot tap on the CH LED goes out and the HW LED comes on, when I turn the tap off it goes back to how it was with CH back ON, is this intended functionality ?, I found a post from 2018 where the OP noted something similar with the LEDS but I think his issue was with the CH not firing, someone replied that its expected for the LEDS and the OP stated that he replaced the PCB ,this was the post was 2018 , https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/baxi-combi-105he-central-heating-problem.511230/

Thanks in advance

Cheers Jon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back