Baxi 105e with a running overflow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice Needed....

I had a Baxi 105e fitted about 2 yrs ago... great boiler!

Been decorating alot up to Christmas, the usual taking radiators off - Painting - Putting radiators back on...

Got a prob today... Put a radiator back on yesterday - Pressure went down.. filled up using the filler loop... thought no more about it.
Today my radiators weren't getting warm, looked at the boiler and my pressure was very low, topped it up with the filler loop - on come the radiators, over the next few hours off went the radiators, because the pressure was low again - so I topped it up again, over the next few hours the same happened again.

Anyway I have found my overflow is losing warm water which is - I guess why my pressure is going down slowly!!!

WHY? hope you can help

Sponsored Links
Now I wonder how you drained the system?

And did you over fill the system pressure?

Tony

Drained the system?

Turned the radiator off from both sides and took it off.

Overfill the system pressure?

The pressure as never gone up into the red.

Can any of you experienced Plumbers out there give me some sort of idea as to what the problem could be..?

I'm going to have to call someone out and I'm terrified of getting taking for a ride, especially so close to Christmas..

Regards

Mike

Sponsored Links
Yes my assumption is that you have overfilled the system pressure, or left the filling loop slightly open which has caused it to increase to over 3 bar when the heating is running and opened the pressure relief valve. Once it has opened it probably won't seal properly again. Firstly though fill to 0.75 bar and make sure the filling loop is closed.

Fitrst thing to try is top up pressure get system very hot, manually hold red button of pressure relief valve (trace it back into the boiler from the "overflow pipe" as you call it) in a position which opens it fully and you can hear the water gushing out of it. Then let it go to a rest position where it should shut. If there was a small amount of debris holding it partially open that might have cleaned it off, try angain if it didn't work.

If it fails isolate boiler drain it down, undo plastic part of pressure relief valve clean the seat both sides,with very very finme emery. See if that seals it.

If not get a new one.

Thanks for that guys, I have tried a few things..
Firstly I toppped up the pressure and let the boiler get really hot,
I held the red pressure release valve until I could hear water gushing out.
Had a look outside and yep, water all over.
Let the red valve go and now the overflow runs faster.

Do I take it from this, That pressure is now around 1 bar and it is still dripping at a fair rate of knots, so it must be a dodgy pressure release valve.

Clean it or replace it!!!

Mike

Paul Barker said:
If it fails isolate boiler drain it down, undo plastic part of pressure relief valve clean the seat both sides,with very very finme emery. See if that seals it.

If not get a new one.

i think you might have asked a bit much of him there :confused:

Ok.. Isolate and drain the boiler is that something only a plumber should do?

Could you tell me approx how long it would take a plumber to clean or replace this part?

and of course approx how much is a new part?

Mike

Part is about 5.00, labour is anyones guess, but probably around 50.00 realistically.

You have not said where you live! Rates vary widely!

If you were in London we would charge our fixed diagnostic fee of £84 plus £13 to supply and fit a new valve.

We would however repressurise the expansion vessel as that may be involved in your problem and should be checked in any case, check the filling loop for leakage and give the boiler a service ( including checking the max and min gas valve settings ) and a performance check. We would also reattend free of charge if any further problems arose within three months.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back