Baxi 133HE Plus Diverter Valve Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there new to this and looking for some advice. I had the 133HE plus installed around 4yrs ago when having a loft conversion done. It has been relatively fault free until late November 2010. Out of the blue one evening we were greeted all of a sudden with a loud banging/clanking noise which upon investigation was coming from the boiler. Initially I thought it to be an air lock of soughts so shut the boiler down at the mains electrics and promptly bled all the rads. Upon restarting the problem seemed to have gone and it remained this way for a couple of days. I was then called by a troubled wife whilst at work saying that the same noise had started. I then called up a local corgi registered plumber who came over the next day and deduced the problem to be with the Diverter valve. He replaced the diverter head which I have since found to be a Honeywell product and the problem seemed again to have be resolved... that problem anyway!! In undertaking the work somehow I was left with a now working valve but for some reason the thermostatic control (a Baxi Intellistat) decided to give up the ghost. After he played around with the system for a while the display came back to life but the intellistat did'nt appear to want to talk to the boiler and so I was left with a boiler which worked but no control over it. He suggested I get a new thermostic controller but would need an electrician to fit it which I am yet to get round to doing. We have managed the heating since using the TRV's and changing the setting on the boiler from winter to summer and back as desired. I have also tried using the temp control on the boiler panel but fear that they may not be responding correctly. Anyhow winter has been ok using this compromised control system (although yet to see my gas bill) and the new thermostic timer (I bought a Honeywell) is sitting waiting for me to fit or get a sparks in. Today to my shock though I have again been greeted with the same clanking noise which started the issues in the first place!! Knowing what was deemed the problem I have quickly deduced it to be coming from the very same head that was replaced previously!! When placing your hand on it it is very obviously coming from the diverter head. Moreover I disconnected the head and turned the boiler back on and the noise has stopped so its definitely this item causing the noise. My problem now is why has this new valve done the same as the last in only a matter of 8 weeks and more importantly why with it disconnected does the system actually still seem to be working ok?? I have replaced the head so that the valve is not exposed and left the wiring plug out of the unit and I have central heating (on constant with winter mode selected) and water on demand? This I can live with assuming that the valve is stuck in an open position but it obviously is'nt a cure all!! If I buy and fit another head how long will it last and what's causing it to get stuck?? Finally was it just chance that the Intellistat which had worked fine for 4yrs suddenly stopped talking or could my plumber have shorted it out or something? The intellistat still on the face of things is ok, in that all LCD digits etc are there, the digital clock and programmer all function, its just that they don't seem to do anything to the boiler???

Apologies for this being a long wish list for advice but I thought the full story would help as there are a few strange things going on which may be related? Either that or my luck has really gone!! You'd surely have hoped that a brand new boiler installed 4yrs ago would be doing better than this?

Anyway advanced thanks to any advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back