Baxi 50HE Plus not working correctly!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My condensing boiler is about three years old and I have my suspicions as to what is wrong, but wanted to air the symptoms here, so I can decide on who to call to repair it.

I am an engineer, so am quite good at testing electrical parts but realise that the gas bits need to be done by a qualified person. Unfortunately my installer is qualified, but does not do repairs or servicing.

The boiler operates but frequently 'locks out' either on the burner, the fan or something else - especially when the lower white panel is on the casing. It does not show error lights when this panel is removed. Sometimes it is noticed that the pump is running, heat being called for but the ignition does not attempt to fire. No warning lights (except mains on). A reset of the button, starts the boiler firing.

The thermostat control (high to low) appears to do nothing. The boiler runs at low speed only - does not modulate to a higher speed/power. Outside, the flue is not piping out gases as fast as it used to - more like a trickle.

Have tested the two fan and flow sensors (black) and they measure low ohms. The red thermister reads about 4.5k.

The condensate trap contacts are open cct, I think. The condensate trap is difficult to see what is happening but looks like the left chamber is half full and the r.h. chamber is empty. There appears to be deposits resembling a pile of iron filings above the drain cock position.

Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

Thanks in advance.

Ian King :(

Sponsored Links
So, the way I think the boiler modulates the heat output is through the fan speed. The injector operating on a diaphram in the gas valve to increase gas rate?

If this is so, then then why does the fan speed not change in response to an increase in the variable temperature control? Is the fan or the PCB the culprit (or both)?

I am just looking for an opinion on the electrical side.

Thanks in advance.

IK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back