Baxi 51/5 (no heating or hot water)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you reset the system ,the timer unit ignites (THE LED GOES FROM AMBER TO GREEN)& the boiler switches on for approx 2.5 minites & then gos to lock out condition .

Can anybody help me diagnose the fault ,to why its locking out ??

Sponsored Links
Start with, checking the flue and ventilation are correct.

Removed the front heater from the boiler system .
The flue looks clear .
The system calls for ignition & lights up for between 10-240 secs
then gos to the red led state .
Something is causing it to lock out , but unsure what ??
Is it helpful if i try the water & heating seperatley & see what happens ??

Sponsored Links
There is an upgrade 'high fire timer delay kit' that can prevent nuisance lockouts on this boiler on a gravity system if you have checked the pump and water in the system. Boards aren't fantastic though.

Im a total novice to back boiler systems.What i need is a step by step guide of what to check .
Im a electrician by trade so should be able to follow instructions (hopefully).

Do as ollski says first, check the pump is spinning and that there is water in the system, ie if you bleed upstairs rads does water run out?

lighting then going off as main burner comes on.. possible dirty pilot , lifting off.. on tube that come down front of boiler from flue to the pilot assy there is a little hole in this that blocks up with fluff and dust , make sure it`s clean

namsag:Cleaned what i assume is the pipe marked 1 in yellow .(if incorrect indicate which is the correct one please .
backboiler.jpg

gas4you :Checked the pump & it spinning & filling the tank
timerunit.jpg
Got a orange led flashing on the timer board (marked 1 in green which is next to a thermocouple connection marked 2 in yellow first pic & 2 in green on the second pic)

When in lock-out mode and the red light is on how many times a sec does the amber light flash if at all.

When you first switch on the heating ,the system will ignite & run for approx 2.5mins & go to lockout .
The main led will go to red indicating lockout , but the smaller amber led
will flash at aproximately once every 6 secs.

Hope this helps .

The boiler is fitted with two diagnostic indicator lights that indicate the status of the boiler. The high rate LED (yellow) can be seen through the top of the control box. The indicator LED can be seen through the front. Their sequence of operation is as follows:-

a) No power-no lights.
b) Switched live supplied indicator LED - orange.
c) Pilot established indicator LED - green.
d) Boiler fault - indicator LED red or flashing red.
e) Boiler firing at maximum rate - high rate LED - yellow.
f) Diagnostic indicator - high rate LED flashing yellow.

If the indicator LED light is illuminated red/or flashing red, it is necessary to reset the appliance. To do this turn the boiler thermostat control knob fully anti-clockwise to the OFF position and wait until the light shows orange. Turn the control knob clockwise to the required setting. The boiler will commence the ignition sequence.

Operate the burner, this will run at low rate (This is factory set and no adjustment is necessary). Make further checks for leaks. Press and release the rate switch on the front of the control box. The high rate LED should illuminate yellow and the boiler fire at high rate (NOTE: The boiler will only run at high rate if the boiler temperature is less than 70 °C.

Check the burner setting pressure, adjusting if necessary, this has to be done while the LED is illuminated. This is done by removing the governor cover screw and adjusting the governor in either direction as required:- clockwise to increase, anticlockwise to decrease.

baxpoti said:
Make further checks for leaks
Check the burner setting pressure, adjusting if necessary, this has to be done while the LED is illuminated. This is done by removing the governor cover screw and adjusting the governor in either direction as required:- clockwise to increase, anticlockwise to decrease.

Could you indicate how i do this using the picture provided below .
Please remember , i need a idiots guide to adjusting & checking proceedures
0001.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back