Baxi 552 Boiler help please.

Its a double edged sword but the bottom line is that if anything went wrong the home owner would play dumb as they always do and state that they went with the advise of the qualified personel.

I personally hate removing fully safe fully working BBU's, Mexicos or Classics (Cast iron version) in place of a condensing Combi and always tell he customer as such but they think they are gonna save a packet and the planet.

Problem with this Topic is that what has gone on is HIGHLY ILLEGAL and would you namsag be quite so ofey with this if he had put in his own new gas run as he could not afford the labour.
There is a reason we go to College for 4 years go back every 5 after that and pay Gas Safe a fortune on a yearly basis its so we can confidently put our name on a piece of paper.
I am not judging the poster but would not do what has been done here for friends or family or inmy own home.

Sponsored Links
Well to be honest I was a tad jubious about getting 2nd hand, also not knowing alot about baxi back boilers etc. But wifey insisted we go down this route 1st and if it fails we haven't lost a packet, but if it works ok then we have saved a fortune.
Like I say everything works fine, only that the boiler seems to fire up intermittently without being swithed on via the timer switch, but only for a short while.
The firm that we phoned didn't seem interested in doing it at 1st but my wife is very persuasive, and he agreed to call and look at what was involved. He then said we will remove the old fire and see what sort of problems there are before continuing, and it just so happened that the guy that started this job worked with me around 20 yrs ago on another job, also he fitted the original gloworm fire and back boiler, rads and central heating system.
I was at work when they installed it and don't know what they did but I know for a fact that the guy would not risk anything (don't remark about this as its not dangerous to fit a 552). Ok the boiler may not be energy efficient, I have been told that by the plumbers at work, but this is my choice and if they didn't do it, I would have found someone that would.
The guy that sold us the fire and back boiler was, infact, a british gas engineer. He told us that we couldn't buy a new 552 in England and legitimately get it installed, but that he would install it if we had any problems. He said this was not the case in Scotland or N Ireland.
This is the scenario, its done now and I just need help in working out what the problem is causing it to fire up every now and then. I will get back to them tomorrow and ask for them to take a look at the timer wiring maybe for starters.

There is no point commenting on this thread anymore if all you want to do is condemn the fitters, or me.
Thanks for the positive input from some of you, much appreciated.

Andy

Im not condeming you at all mate.
Its like if you found a £1000 would you hand it in (Dumb if you do) or would think that the person who lost it was an idiot in the first place (I would), you are in a similair position as you have saved a packet because someone was dumb enough to do what they have done.
Did they replace the clock?
If not its probably on its last legs because you prob still have the original which as has benn stated will now be 20 Years + if they have its a wiring fault.
Another option is that the thermostat has gone or has been moved a couple degrees up to what your used to and is now kicking the boiler in to gain that couple of degrees.

Sponsored Links
Im not condeming you at all mate.
Its like if you found a £1000 would you hand it in (Dumb if you do) or would think that the person who lost it was an idiot in the first place (I would), you are in a similair position as you have saved a packet because someone was dumb enough to do what they have done.
Did they replace the clock?
If not its probably on its last legs because you prob still have the original which as has benn stated will now be 20 Years + if they have its a wiring fault.
Another option is that the thermostat has gone or has been moved a couple degrees up to what your used to and is now kicking the boiler in to gain that couple of degrees.
Yeah the clock may also be an issue, probably best we get a new one anyway, any ideas?
If the boiler is kicking in when not switched on at the clock it looks like its to do with the wiring, will get him back asap to check and give us a price on a new clock.
Thanks
Andy

TO SLAPPER
I don't CONDONE THIS INSTALL.
its totally illegal,i was just adding bit more against it. ffs

[/list][/quote]

63 Parts listed for 552 of which 6 are obsolete and of which only the burner injector would affect the appliance but those going is very rare
Main working components
Gey push button gas valve fits thousands of boilers
standard universal t/couple
Boiler stat standard to loads of baxis.
Heat ex readily avialable.

So the obsolete argument is out

Nogoodatfaultfinding
He has not run his own gas pipe so no point even discussing that

63 Parts listed for 552 of which 6 are obsolete and of which only the burner injector would affect the appliance but those going is very rare
Main working components
Gey push button gas valve fits thousands of boilers
standard universal t/couple
Boiler stat standard to loads of baxis.
Heat ex readily avialable.

So the obsolete argument is out

Nogoodatfaultfinding
He has not run his own gas pipe so no point even discussing that

But its the same thing.
To say that one thing is ok because someone cant afford it but something else is not is stupid.
I agree its done now but that does not make it right.
I garantee that if you went to this customers house not knowing the circumstances and them not knowing it was illegal you would want all details.
We all spend many hours on here and at work discussing the right and wrongs, we condemn new people who try to better there lives by joining the industry and want to know the right things to do, we have special nicknames like Cowboy for someone from down pub who fits a ravenheat, yet if a BG engineer ILLEGALY installs a BBU its OK well actually no its not.
Namsag you cannot pick and choose which parts of the legislation you abide by.
You abide by it all or none at all and never ever to suit the circumstances infront of you.
In the last 2 weeks i have condemed 3 fires all in old peoples houses where it was the only source of heat, yeah i felt bad, and yeah they wish they never had it serviced but i can go to bed tonight knowing that these people will be ok till they have a new fire fitted or their chimney sorted.
To say that one thing is ok and another is not is just stupid.
I know you have probably forgotten more than i know but that does not make it ok to fit second a hand BBU.

I dont pick the rules that suit if you want to do a check you will find i am one of the few on here who actually knows the rules and regs .
But there is no rule that says when you work on an appliance you must know when and who fitted it.
I treat every job as if it has been fitted by a half wit .

3 in 2 weeks i used to do that in a day on emergency van. Usually under threat of violence .People would rather put lives at risk than pay out money.

The guy has had it done and some on here are saying its the worst thing since the spanish inquisition fek he has had a boiler fitted that 4 and half years ago would have been perfectly acceptable and nothing said.

In FACT it maybe perfectly legal and acceptable now as the house may meet the excemption rules . So perfectly ok to fit a BBU nothing says it has to be BRAND NEW

I dont pick the rules that suit if you want to do a check you will find i am one of the few on here who actually knows the rules and regs .

Hence why i said you have probably forgot more than i know.

But there is no rule that says when you work on an appliance you must know when and who fitted it.

No there is not but my point was had you known the circumstances and it was your own job your outlook would be different.

I treat every job as if it has been fitted by a half wit .

I treat every job as if i had not done it and ask all relevent questions hence my point above

3 in 2 weeks i used to do that in a day on emergency van. Usually under threat of violence .People would rather put lives at risk than pay out money.

I am not trying to make this into a my penis is bigger than your penis exercise but am intrested into why you have now changed your opinion regarding this specific job?
If its good enough to shut off Granny Grunts or the local Skin Heads why not this guy?

The guy has had it done and some on here are saying its the worst thing since the spanish inquisition fek he has had a boiler fitted that 4 and half years ago would have been perfectly acceptable and nothing said.
In FACT it maybe perfectly legal and acceptable now as the house may meet the excemption rules . So perfectly ok to fit a BBU nothing says it has to be BRAND NEW

The poster has accepted the fact that it would be illegal under todays legislation.
4 and a half years ago corgi were in charge but they no longer are, things change.
People like me look up to people like you with the knowledge you have, i go to work every day doing/looking for something different because i have listened to your posts/and others more experienced than me on here and learned either what the fault may be or what i can do different to make sure the customer is safe and satisfied.
I know its not your job to do this but knowledge is the biggest asset to people like me, but you have now stated that you agree with illegal intalls which i must say worries me.
If i were to do what has been done in this post i would get the sack and beleive that you would sack anyone for the same.

Yes it may be old (in fact 7 yrs old) but its not dangerous, how can it be, its probably in a quarter of houses in the UK right now. Someone has decided its not energy efficient for todays requirements, not energy efficient does not mean dangerous!
I see your main arguments are for the guys that fitted it, believe me if I could go back 10 hrs I would have said it was already fitted ffs. Its all been fitted now and thats that! Its like saying my car is not energy efficient and so I can't run it on the roads, there would be an uproar, but in my case people just lie back and accept it, pay the money end of.
This setup may not be legal fitting but for sure its not dangerous!
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back