Baxi 80e fan/flu fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, and I hope someone can help before I go and buy something that ain't needed lol.

My Baxi 80e has recently started playing up on the CH side (and possibly HW too, but I do not run that for long enough to find out).

CH comes on fine first thing in it's timed cycles, but then intermittently fails with a fan/flu warning indicator.

I have had it opened and checked start sequence. Everything seems fine first time, but after it reaches temp, stops, and restarts it is hit or miss (becoming more miss as time goes on) whether the fan will start correctly. When fan does refuse to start it 'tries', as in small movement, but if I turn off system and then back on, it runs fine again again until it reaches temp etc when problem repeats.

I am a fully Approved 17th Edition sparks, and from experience a fan is usually ok, or buggered (or at least buggered very soon after initial problem) so I am leaning toward PCB, but do not want to shell out monies without at least bouncing it off a few more knowledgable heads.

Hope to get advice soon, and thanks for reading

Me

Sponsored Links
I'd be looking at the Venturi or air pressure switch.

Having your 17th eddition doesn't make you qualified to open the combustion chamber. Call in a Gas Safe Engineer or Heateam

Having your 17th eddition doesn't make you qualified to open the combustion chamber.

not even with the 17th edition of
characters.gif

Sponsored Links
Obviously being a sparky doesn't qualfy me for working on a boiler. If it did I wouldn't be here now would I? lol

I assume the sequence is

#1 Request for heat
#2 Start fan
#3 APS check

If this is correct, then logic dictates that the starting of the fan must come before the APS check, hence my mention that the fan 'tries' to start (actually moves approx 5 degrees)

If it isn't correct then please tell me and I will take it from there, and I have no idea what venturi does throughout boiler opertion lol.

Oh PMSL@ The Dandy

fan blows through the venturi which creates a pressure differential which makes the air pressure switch.

sequence is

demand
pump runs
pump proving switch
check air pressure switch is open
fan run
check air pressure switch is close
burner lights
rectifys
burner stays on

just re read your post if fan moves a little the bearings have siezed. as a quick fix wd40 it before you have a RGI replace

You are kidding right? this guy has no intention of calling a GSR engineer....all you are doing is loading the gun! I don't have issues with you generalising but giving specifics is well stupid and in the long run self defeating......hope you have plenty of work my friend

You are kidding right? this guy has no intention of calling a GSR engineer....all you are doing is loading the gun! I don't have issues with you generalising but giving specifics is well stupid and in the long run self defeating......hope you have plenty of work my friend

my diary is full until March. I don't have to advertise either.

Muppet.......always one around........don't tell me your missus is an ex miss world your car does 150mph in 4.2 secs and you have a 10 inch todger......and your diary is full till march.......gosh and you just have to tell non competant OP's how to mess around in their boiler......oh your a star :rolleyes:

Have you dropped your dummy powell30?

Just asking because there must be some reason why you are acting like a 2 year old? Grow up and stop acting like a complete tosser.

Thanks to Newcastle88, although still no joy so I am getting a pro out to sort it.

still no joy so I am getting a pro out to sort it.

See, wasn't that hard was it...knew you'd come round in the end.

My objection was to the obvious.....you ain't competant and Newcastle was reckless......his comment was the flippant one initially. Although i agree i should not have responded like for like......as for yours....well i leave it to you to decide who won this one.......but it ain't me having to call out the pro now is it.

Yawn....... As said prior........ Grow up 'mate', it ain't a case of winning is it, but if you want it to be, your name is definately not on my list of suggestions to others whereas Newcastle would be.

Now stop this please as you have waved your dummy enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back