Baxi 80HE overflow constantly pouring outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help me, i am a single mum with a Baxi Combi 80HE boiler fitted 3 yr ago and had nothing but trouble. Pressure is always falling to zero, water going cold whilst showering (not good for my small kids) and now the overflow is constantly pouring water out. Ive had a couple of hundred pounds spent on it and to be honest its no better, one visit from a plumber had a new switch which regualted the water temp (£150) and then a pressure relief valve fitted (£60) which stopped it at the time and a day later its leaking outside again! PLease help... i cant afford anymore plumber fees, especially when things are not being resolved. Im really fed up can anyone help? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks :eek:)

Sponsored Links
Lots in the FAQ's about Boiler Pressure Problems - which is what causes the pressure relief pipe to squirt outside. Have a read.
Is yours an "i" or "instant" version of the baxi 80?

Unfortunately it sounds as if you have had an idiot(s) round who haven't a clue.

What does the pressure gauge read when the prv is discharging?

Have you left the filling loop turned on slightly?

The pressure should be just over 1 Bar when rads cold and go up to approx 2 Bar when hot.

If it goes from 1 to 3 pretty quickly then it points to an expansion vessel fault, either wants re-charging or replacing. (see FAQs)

When the HW is going hot, cold, hot, it sounds like the boiler is going to overheat, turning off, cooling, then coming back on.

This is a classic sign of the plate heat exchanger being blocked or partially blocked.

I would suggest that if you are still in contact with this 'engineer' that you call him and ask him to either come back and fix it for free as so far you have paid him good money for nothing, or that he gives you a full refund if he doesn't feel he knows how to fix it.

Either of the above are not unreasonable, and I would doubt very much that there is not one of us, who has some point not been able to fix a particular boiler first time.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps, you're the person, extended warranties were designed for.

yes i agree, sometimes money isnt always readily available being on a very low income but i agree and wish that i could of afforded that at the time

Perhaps its time Baxi/potty made a reliable boiler instead of ripping people off.

It's all about the marketing men!

Maximizing profit by ripping people off with a crap product.

Its not that long ago when baxi were one of the must reliable boilers on the market. Where are they now, the bottom of the skip.

If it wasn't for BG you would be out of business and rightly so.

Hi Dave, thank you for your kind advice, i think i must try and get a quote from another engineer as i have lost faith in the the previous one. Its good to have an idea of what the problem could be as i have not a clue and atleast i have an idea now.

If it wasn't for BG you would be out of business and rightly so.
I'm suitably qualified never to go out of business. Ta, very much

Installation faults still play a huge part in the amount of work carried out under so called 'warranty work'

If installers bothered to do the job 100% as per the book, instead of cutting corners, reliability rates would be close to 100%.

[If installers bothered to do the job 100% as per the book, instead of cutting corners, reliability rates would be close to 100%.

So what about the pcbs, aps's, thermisters, cracked burners, combustion cover seals, leaking heat exchangers. leaking O rings etc etc that have nothing to do with installation faults.

Unfortunately it sounds as if you have had an idiot(s) round who haven't a clue.

What does the pressure gauge read when the prv is discharging?

Have you left the filling loop turned on slightly?

The pressure should be just over 1 Bar when rads cold and go up to approx 2 Bar when hot.

If it goes from 1 to 3 pretty quickly then it points to an expansion vessel fault, either wants re-charging or replacing. (see FAQs)

When the HW is going hot, cold, hot, it sounds like the boiler is going to overheat, turning off, cooling, then coming back on.

This is a classic sign of the plate heat exchanger being blocked or partially blocked.

I would suggest that if you are still in contact with this 'engineer' that you call him and ask him to either come back and fix it for free as so far you have paid him good money for nothing, or that he gives you a full refund if he doesn't feel he knows how to fix it.

Either of the above are not unreasonable, and I would doubt very much that there is not one of us, who has some point not been able to fix a particular boiler first time.

I called Baxi up today and asked the after having had a new pressure relief valve fitted, what else could be the problem. They said that it could be dirt that has moved around the system causing the PRV not work as it should, he said i should release the PRV a few times and also push air into the system with the (thing i usually use to push air back in if the pressure is low) sorry im a blonde i forgot what it is called! anyway, theory is to flush out any rubbish. I did this and it worked....... for 15 minutes and overflow now leaking again ... so has he said i may have to do it a few times, ill try again :)

Sounds like the expansion vessel to me.

You should never play with the PRV because they hardly ever re-seal again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back