Baxi Bahama 100 cuts out after 8-9 seconds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm sure you've heard these lovely (NOT) and reliable (NOT) boiler as I can see there are a few topics aout them and related problems! Well...I have one of them and its driving me nuts!
Here is the story: It worked fine until I realised a couple of nights ago when I was having a shower the hot water became cold druing the shower, but it did NOT cut out COMPLETELY! I went to the boiler to check it and the pressure gauge went right to the end. I switched it off the CH/HW mode onto HW only and it was still "firing up" even though hot water taps were OFF. I left it OFF over night, in the morning the pressure went down. I tried it again, it did the same. Had a chat with someone who said had a similar issue, changed the diverter valve and that solved it. A friend who is more confident with combi boilers came round, had a look, tried the actuator (motor) and it seemed to move fine. The valve (replaceable cartridge actually) seemed fine too as it was moving, a bit stiff-ish it was maybe, but it was still ok. Switch on a off a few times, try this try that, next thing you know it seem to have solved the issue with the boiler firing up in HW only mode. We had to leave, I then on my own thought, to try it in CH/HW mode and it did fire up as normal, but it then cut out!!!??
I changed over to HW mode, it would even fire up!? I then left it off (unpolugged from the power), went back tried it and it seems to be doing the same now in both modes. Comes on, runs for about 8-10 secs, but then cuts out and it need to sit for about 5-10 mins before you can try anything else again with it.
I took out the cartridge for the diverter valve, cleaned it, WD40 the spring, that seems ok. I took the flow switch off (the one between the pump and gas valve) and there is not much to be seen there, although I've a post somewhere on this forum where someone who is a Baxi engineer said any debries or crap can break these because they're magnetic or something along those lines..

So can anyone help please? This is the 2nd day without hot water, heating we can survive without I guess for now, its not too bad..:(

Sponsored Links
With intermittent faults on these first thing to do is stick a couple of new flow switches in. There's 2. If monies a factor, you could remove them and clean them up, even if they look clean, clean them anyway. Unfortunately with what you've describedit could be any 1 of many faults or a combination of a few. I would suggest flow switches, check/repressurise expansion vessel a decent service, including checking adjusting electrodes and ensuring the condense trap is clean and clear. Might be time for a professional?

Mmm...I wouldn't mind having a go replacing these myself as I've seen where they are, had one out already and it could be a much cheaper outcome than getting a of-off repair type jobby done. I've been quoted £164 by B.Gas but money IS tight with both of us out of work.
Any idea where I could get a couple of these for a better price than £25 each I've found here in Derby? The problem is they're non-returnable if I find out it doesn't solve the problem. Has anyone else solved a similar or maybe the same problem with these?

I appreciate your help either way Mickeyg

why not try cleaning them first. if it makes a difference then you know your in the right area. After all it could be something completely different.

Sponsored Links
Good idea, I think I'll give that a go first since I don't think I can get someone else CORGI anyway being the weekend and all that...got nothing to loose.
What do you suggest I clean them with? Warm sopay water..? Could that be enough?

just use scotchbrite or kitchen scourer to rub any dirt of the surfaces so that they're nice and smooth. Truly awful design :D
Out of interest do they have any coloured tags on them? there was some white ones and blue ones. think the blue ones are the latest offering.

Both blue!
BTW, the one next to the pump seemed fairly smooth when I got it out today, but not tried the other one so I'll try tonight (knackered after messing about with this all day). If not tonight, will empty the system again tomorrow and give it a go!
;)

Right, got this one out this morning.I got the top bit that screws off, the inside seemed dirty, black and I couldn't get the little round bit that the spring normally pushes. BUt yes, I cleaned up hat I could, but it makes no difference. Fires up, 10 seconds or so - goes off! Does the same on HW and CH/HW.

Should I assume that this just can't be "cleaned" and that they both need replacing?

Yep just replace the one you have just got out, Use a small screwdriver to get the plunger and spring out.

To confirm its the flow switches,try linking them out and see if it cures the problem b4 you go buying new parts.

:( Wish I got the chance to try this out...wife can't wait for me to keep testing bits so she was insisting on getting someone who could fix it today! Got a BG deal for 150 to just get on with it :(
Either way, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH - I have a MUCH better idea how the whole thing works now and will be more confident when it goes next time, because with baxi I KNOW IT WILL!

Cheers all, I'll let you know what WAS wrong when the engineer turns up later!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back