Baxi Bahama Playng up :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok all you boiler experts !

My Bahama is playing up.

Symptoms are :

Heating comes on, goes off, comes on, goes off etc about every 10-15 secs. The rads get warm but not hot.
Hot water similar, basically when i turn on a tap the boiler fires up but only for a few seconds then cuts out, then fires up again.

In both cases when the boiler is about to cut out the pressure guage , hwich is isually 1-1.5 bar, fluctuates a little and sometimes rises.

Had my local man out to look at it and he didnt understand but confirmed :
The pump is running
The electric diverter valve is operating, is it moves between its two settings when a tap is opened.

Help !
PS, I am electrically, mechanically and plumbing competent but no nothing about boilers.

Sponsored Links
Start by checking the gas pressures.

Check return filter not blocked.

Replace both flow switches and clean the primary (c/h) flow switch barrel.

SteveD999 said:
Ok all you boiler experts !

My Bahama is playing up.

PS, I am electrically, mechanically and plumbing competent but no nothing about boilers.

I would say your Bahama is behaving normally!

I hope your other skills are better than your spelling.

Since boilers dont use spelling but operate with mechnical, electrical and plumbing components then you should have no problem understanding it.

I should add that few boiler engineers are very comfortable with them either.

Tony

C/h switch notoriously crap.usually find manifold where it screws in full of muck,

Sponsored Links
werewolf said:
C/h switch notoriously rubbish.usually find manifold where it screws in full of muck,

Just point out that the 'muck' is not supplied with the boiler when new.

It is an optional extra included by the installer, by not cleaning and treating the system correctly.

baxpoti said:
Just point out that the 'muck' is not supplied with the boiler when new.

and if it was you could bet your life that it would be the wrong type and old POXI would charge you a fortune for the modified muck

;)

only kidding

I could do with a diagram for the boiler, so that i know where each of the valves are for removal and cleaning etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for such a diagram please ?

:)

hebburnlad said:
can i suggest you look at the aps venturi as i had similar probs a while ago and i found a partial blockage

I would suggest that it would be better for him to get someone who is CORGI registered to do that as its a gas combustion safety matter. Thats unless he is competent in which case he would not need to ask here.

Tony

Ok, had a look at the flow switches and removed the actuator for the ch/how water valve.

But to remove the valve body looks like it needs a special spanner ?
Sort of a splined device about 18mm in diameter ??

Am I missing the pint here ?

Being as both the CH and the HW functions are both not working, and the pipe feeding into the diverter valve does get pretty hot, and thinking it might be a blockage in the valve as suggsted.

However i dont know how to get the valve apart, at least without a special spanner / tool

Any help gratefully received.

PS, have also tried to find a local corgi boiler man as i dont mind paying for someone to fix this for me, but no luck in finding someone that sounds competent and fair !
PPS, if you are such a person please do get in touch !
PPPs am located at the junction of the M3 and M25.

baxpoti said:
Start by checking the gas pressures.

Check return filter not blocked.

Replace both flow switches and clean the primary (c/h) flow switch barrel.

SteveD999 said:
Am I missing the pint here ?

Its better not to be drunk while fixing boilers!

There is normally no need to remove the body of the flow switches, only the head which contains the moving magnet and reed switch.

A test meter and moving the float should confirm if its working. A rag can clean inside.

Your location seems close to Chris but he seems to be keeping very quiet!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back