Baxi Barcelona Lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved into this house 15 months ago. the out going owner said that the boiler, at that time 2 years old, sometimes locked out, but it wasn't a problem as it always fired up ok after a few minutes.. and it's true it did for about 3 months. Eventually repairs cost several hundred pounds however. Now, a year later it is refusing to fire up, although I am not getting a lockout light. I am female, elderly and not into the workings of boilers. It is a week before a heating engineer can call. Thank goodness the washing machine, dishwasher both heat their water and I have an electric shower!!!! I want to have the boiler moved later in the year when the kitchen is redesigned, but from reading about everyone elses problems I think I will change to a combi boiler.
But you are all right Baxi should be held accountable for such a useless product.
:mad:

Sponsored Links
You wont believe this....its working...quietly **waves to nice Baxi engineer who came this morning** I pointed him in the direction of this website! LOL!

Now, he tells me the problems with the explosive ignition lie within the PCB. British Gas havent been fitting the uprated PCB to our boiler and didnt replice the metal "ignition thingummies" so the gas built up and it boomed.

So far so good....all is quiet!
fingers crossed eh?!

Hi Folks, thanks uncleben for recent advise, I have not been able to confirm gas pressure yet I have been away.
As you say it appears that the sensing system may be to sensitive.
Mine will not start at all currently. I am awaiting parts and will advise.

Sponsored Links
intermittent lockout is THE most common fault on a baxi barcelona.

When first firing up;
1. Electrodes are prone to burning out, check and replace as necesarry.
2. Spark weak and intermittent, PCB has been modified to make the spark more reliable

When running for more than a minute;
1.Condensate trap/pipe blocks up, proving the condensate discharge sensor, locking the boiler out. Disconnect the lead to trap temporarily to determine this. Some syphon traps were machined/formed incorrectly, the inner bore on the syphon has a burr towards the middle of the tube, thus restricting the condensate flow. Make sure the syphon sensing tags are fixed with metal screws and not plastic, as some were made with pastic pegs meaning poor contact on the syphon leads. (part number 244157 - screws)
Also, where does the condensate pipe terminate? Is water back flowing up the condensate pipe into the trap, i.e. from a soil pipe, ventilated stack? Is the pipe clear, does it fall continuously away from the appliance?

2. Faulty combustion case seals, products of combustion leak out, spilling onto overheat sensor thus the ambient tempeature around the sensor increases causing the boiler to trip out.

Part numbers

modified condensate trap 247015BAX
seals 242482 and 242483 and 242489

Baxi/Potterton help 08706 049 049

Have fun

WBAFC
Premier league

On behalf of all Barcelona sufferers I would like to cast a quote of thanks to both uncleben and bradleybear for their contributions to this post; if they could club together their knowledge (that far out weights the sum total of any advise offered by engineers that have called to my house!) and design/build a reliable, quiet (oh that jet-engine!) condensing boiler, I think it is safe to say that we would all line up to buy one!

Condensing boilers... the Datsuns of the heating world... the blessed noise of it running drives me mad... and the government have said they are the only ones allowed to be fitted now... "Oh Mum... I want to get off this ride!"
:rolleyes:

Yessssssssssssss...
After months of struggle with the latest repeated lockouts I am now the proud owner of a new expensive Vaillant. Whereas before there was chaos now there is calm.
Friday afternoons stripdown resulted in a fit of anger when it wouldn't start (again) so I calmly removed the gas supply, drained the system, unclipped it from the wall and stood on the back doorstep casting the offending **** onto the grass. Oh the sweet moment of revenge as it cartwheeled across the lawn. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I only hope I dont have the same expensive relationship with my new Vaillant in a few years!!!!
Baxi should be ashamed to have produced such a product I shall NEVER buy their products again.
Anyway, does anybody who lives near the midlands want my Barcelona for spares?
You can have it for nowt if you can collect.
Post your email address and I will contact you.
Thanks

Top-man! I am seriously considering doing the same... plz fill in some gaps though... which Valliant did you get? Is it consending? Does it support the extended flue? And my *big* question... does it sound like a jet engine when it runs?!

Ta, Tim

Tim
The Vaillant I have bought is an ECOMAX PRO.
And yes it is a condensing boiler for use with a conventional open or sealed system. It fires instantly and "ramps" up to demand temperature set by yourself and at full chat is no more than a purr.
In fact its like a Rolls Royce compared to the B***lona and I swear I can hear the clock ticking!!!! :LOL:
The literature states that the max flue length (without bends) is 10m for the standard 100mm flue, vertically or horizontally. Each 90 degree bend drops 1m or 45 degree drops 0.5m.
However they do a 125mm flue which can reach 20m, but each 90 degree drops 2.5m or 45 degree drops 1m from overall length.
I had a look at their website and asked for an installation leaflet. It arrived within a few days.
I have, like with the Baxi, bought on recomendation as you have to unless you fit boilers everyday, so I hope I have made the right decision.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Uncleben
Just read your post regarding the possibility of a grant of 300 pounds for a new Vaillant.
How do you get this?
If you are talking about the council, forget it unless you get benefits.

Further to my earlier post,
engineer no 1 called, changed several parts, including pump, with, apparently no clear idea of the problem. Could get water to heat, but central heating refused to function. Suggested radiators needed to be bled and left.
Bled radiators and 3 days later boiler refused to fire up, [but no lock out light]
A week passes, engineers 2 and 3 arrive, change fan, spend a long time outside and then suggested system needs flushing, despite the fact that it was done 10 months ago.
They could be right, but again got the impression that they had no idea, and cared less. So I now have had three weeks with no heating and no hot water.
I am having the kitchen redesigned this year, and have more or less decided to dump the Barcelona for something else, probably a combi boiler of some sort.. any suggestions?

No real lemons out there at the moment it seems, but the jury's still out on most of the condensing ones. Many many are bothersome when the design first comes out - I'd always avoid a boiler which hadn't been around a year or two, unless it was a minor mod to a previous one. One recommendable combi is the 105 made by - you guessed - Baxi!

But there are lots - the Vaillants are justifiably popular, amongst several others.

twincam where in the midlands are you?....I may be able to dispose of it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back