Baxi Bermuda 552 Heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had service contract with British Gas for last seven years. have found water leak on heat exchanger that is dripping onto pilot light when cold. BG have taken water sample from system to see if heat exchanger can be replaced under service contract? From what I understand if they find something they are not happy with I am not covered. What are they looking for a get out clause. Inhibitor I use is Fernox MB-1 the system is quite old. Can someone explain what constitutes a breakdown due to sludge, I consider the system although not sludge free is quite clean for its age. I.e when removing radiators the water runs clean but the last dredges 1/4 cup contain black oily substance, is this sludge and what is it.

Sponsored Links
sludge is magnetite
its corrosion from the inside of rads boiler pump etc
every time you put fresh water in the system you produce a bit more
BG love any excuse not to carry out repairs under contract

if the boiler isnt kettling(banging when hot) i wouldnt think it was sludge but dont quote me :)

Leak = corrosion so you aren't covered. Bye bye BG.

Take your own sample, put a clean nail in it, leave a fortnight somewhere warm. All inhibitors in open systems need regular replenishment.

Sponsored Links
sludge and scale aren't covered on a BG contract....it is not anyone trying to get out of it, it is in your contract details....if the tests come back as water quality ok you will get your heat exchanger no probs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back