Baxi Bermuda w/back boiler gas safe ID

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has just had his combi routinely serviced (worcester) by a new RGI. It was installed around 4 years ago by an eastern european guy who is no longer in the trade.

The new gas guy has isolated the fire in the lounge as he says it's dangerous. It's a Baxi Bermuda with back boiler. The back boiler had already been disconnected from the gas & water by the combi installer just leaving the front fire operational. The new guy says the combustion gases would not be able to find their way through the dead boiler properly and could spill. He suggests taking the bermuda completely and having a new fire which the owner would still like to use.

Just wondered if this is a common problem and if he's given the right advice. There's a tech bulletin on the gas safe tech library mentioning that solid fuel fires should sit in front of a disconnected solid fuel back boiler, but that's for a different reason.

Sponsored Links
if the back boiler has been decommissioned properly and the fire passes the spillage test then no reason why it cant be used.The fire and Back boiler share a flue so both have to be left intact.

Sponsored Links
sniff sniff sniff , ,,,, can you smell that ….. ahhh its shyte ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

it would really help if you posted a picture of the warning notice :)

A friend has just had his combi routinely serviced (worcester) by a new RGI. It was installed around 4 years ago by an eastern european guy who is no longer in the trade.

The new gas guy has isolated the fire in the lounge as he says it's dangerous. It's a Baxi Bermuda with back boiler. The back boiler had already been disconnected from the gas & water by the combi installer just leaving the front fire operational. The new guy says the combustion gases would not be able to find their way through the dead boiler properly and could spill. He suggests taking the bermuda completely and having a new fire which the owner would still like to use.

Just wondered if this is a common problem and if he's given the right advice. There's a tech bulletin on the gas safe tech library mentioning that solid fuel fires should sit in front of a disconnected solid fuel back boiler, but that's for a different reason.
why would there be a tech bulletin on the gas safe tech library as you call it , about solid fuel fires ?

why would there be a tech bulletin on the gas safe tech library as you call it , about solid fuel fires ?

They have to do something to justify their annual fees. 'cos it sure as schit isn't improving the training for new entrants in their shiny vans and 6 week courses.

Last edited:
They have to do something to justify their annual fees. 'cos it sure as schit isn't improving the training for new entrants in they're shiny vans and 6 week courses.
was thinking today @Dan Robinson what have Gas safe done that Corgi didnt and the only positive thing is , our registration now goes from sep to sep when it was Corgi it had to be April to April, cant think of any other thing that is better , they get money for doing absolutely feck all

Well, seeing as every Gas Safe employee I had interaction with was there when it was CORGI; all I can say is, they have a slightly better sense of job security. So I have had a few more "definitive" responses on the phone than "what do you think? ".

IF I were an unsuspecting member of the public, I'd be very unimpressed.

Gas Safety Awareness week? What the fook do they think we do every day? Desk bound bureaucrats :mad:

Last edited:
Well, seeing as every Gas Safe employee I had interaction with was there when it was CORGI; all I can say is, they have a slightly better sense of job security. So I have had a few more "definitive" responses on the phone than "what do you think? ".

IF I were an unsuspecting member of the public, I'd be very unimpressed.

Gas Safety Awareness week? What the fook do they think we do every day? Desk bound bureaucrats :mad:
You mean you haven't taken the week off to support it?
:LOL::LOL:

The original warning was originated by the HSE and Gas Safe decided to publish it as so that visiting engineers are aware of the problem. It's not relevant to bas boiler-fire assemblies

The original warning was originated by the HSE and Gas Safe decided to publish it as so that visiting engineers are aware of the problem. It's not relevant to bas boiler-fire assemblies
I think I remember the TB that you are referring to, but was it not about GAS fires being installed in a fireplace containing an unused solid fuel back boiler and the back boiler had to be drilled or the water connections left uncapped to allow any water turning to steam to escape, not really sure what the OP means about installing a solid fuel fire in front of a solid fuel back boiler ?

I was just thinking he may have mis-recalled the bulletin and applied it by mistake to the gas back boiler-fire front combo. There are lots of threads on the forum about people doubting an RGI's decision or ruling and most of the doubters get shot down in flames by other RGIs on here. The explanation for condemning the front fire based on the fact the boiler's disconnected puzzled me, but I'm not a gas engineer. I've since spoken to him and he's said it's because the permanent boiler pilot 'aids' the expulsion of fumes from the gas fire and if it's disconnected, a strong wind might cause spillage.T his is a modern-ish Bermuda BTW, the living flame type

baxi.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back