Baxi Bermuda w/back boiler gas safe ID

Sponsored Links
Not meaning to throw a spanner in the works here and please correct me if Ang hard evidence I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure baxi say the same now regarding this. I.e. Can't decommission boiler and only use fire.

In my opinion I agree with majority of replies, and safety wise can't see the problem if decommissioned correctly but can't blame the guy if he's been told the same from baxi.

I know they allowed it in the past but don't think they allow it now

Sponsored Links
baxi do allow it as long as the correct procedure is followed

I know they did in the past but I've read on a few different forums in last few years of guys saying they have asked baxi and they say not to now. No doubt just to cover themselves but iirc someone even posted the official reply from baxi showing they didn't approve.

As I said I don't see the risk personally if Bbu/flue all good but maybe the installer has asked baxibpreviously and that's why he's telling customer it can't be done.

The only reason for it not not being allowed that was quoted , years ago, (and I don't know if t was Baxi who originally said it), was that it is impossible to carry out the spillage test as instructed in the MI's. But, IMO, that is a particularly weak reason. I have never heard anything officially over the past few years to change the stance.

EDIT: The "stance" being that it is okay to use a fire in front of the decommissioned boiler

Last edited:
The Bermuda back boiler and fire front is a combined unit. It is linked to the same flue system. Either was designed to work independly or together. With boiler decommissioned, only difference is boiler is not being useful fire is still connected as makers intended.
Have not seen any techchnical news flashes saying appliance is not to be used if boiler disabled.

The Baxi Baroque Super and Baxi Arena Super are living
flame effect gas fires with a heat input of 5.57 kW (19,000
Btu/h) and an output of 3.40 kW (11,590 Btu/h) at its
maximum setting. The fires are available for use with Gas
Type G20 (Natural Gas) at 20mbar supply pressure. The
fires are suitable for either hearth or wall mounting and are
designed to be used on NATURAL GAS ONLY. NOTE: The
data and spillage test labels are located on the inner fire
support feet behind the fender front.
Electronic ignition is provided to light the pilot. The fire is
controlled by a control knob positioned on the right hand side
of the case. This control knob has six positions giving a
choice of four output settings.
Position
Position
Position
Position
Position
Position
The artificial coal bed may be illuminated by concealed bulbs
as and when required. The light effect is operated by a
switch situated below the control knob. It may be used
whether the fire is ON or OFF

Terry, is that not a VP3 firefront?

Baroque, Arena and VP 3 were the same fire in different disguises, depending if a free standing fire or fire font variant.
Burners, Glass, Heat exch, and controls were the same.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Why would you post that as the OP?
Another wind up merchant ?

Steady on. If you'd read the whole thread you'd realize that multiple comments had consistently agreed the RGI was wrong and it was actually ok to use the fire front.
And then a couple of posts contradicted that.

In the end I wrote to Baxi and here is the verbatim reply.

Good morning

There is no legislation prohibiting the decommissioning of a backboiler leaving the firefront in use, however, we do not recommend the practise. Whilst there are no concerns regarding safety in use if the work is carried out properly there are concerns over the possible effects of corrosion to the flue components if servicing is not regularly and properly carried out. If decommissioning is to go ahead we recommend the procedure as laid out in Gas Safe bulletin 091, this is comprehensive on the work involved.

Kind regards

Jonathan Smith

Ultimately it rests on the shoulders of the engineer who will be putting his monica on the paperwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back