Baxi Bermuda w/back boiler gas safe ID

Tell him to stop digging :whistle: he is talking nonsense and probably knows he's been caught out.

Sponsored Links
oh ffs i am pishing myself laughing at the pilot explanation ,
Will repeat he is talking sh#te

I was just thinking he may have mis-recalled the bulletin and applied it by mistake to the gas back boiler-fire front combo. There are lots of threads on the forum about people doubting an RGI's decision or ruling and most of the doubters get shot down in flames by other RGIs on here. The explanation for condemning the front fire based on the fact the boiler's disconnected puzzled me, but I'm not a gas engineer. I've since spoken to him and he's said it's because the permanent boiler pilot 'aids' the expulsion of fumes from the gas fire and if it's disconnected, a strong wind might cause spillage.T his is a modern-ish Bermuda BTW, the living flame type

View attachment 126414

We will jump on any RGI that is obviously not fit for the job. But likewise we will defend one that is being mistreated by the customer.... Which happens a lot.

Your guy is either very inexperienced, stupid, ripping you off, or all of the above.

ok thanks for the straight answer. I will advise my mate to get a second opinion, and if necessary they can reconnect the firefront and leave a ticket. I'm afraid I'm his first port of call for anything technical as he couldn't even wire a plug. In fact I get called there to reset the video or tune in the kitchen radio, so you can imagine the phone calls over this matter. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I've since spoken to him and he's said it's because the permanent boiler pilot 'aids' the expulsion of fumes from the gas fire and if it's disconnected, a strong wind might cause spillage

The chap needs to make sure not base his judgement on assumption

Fact. If there is spillage, run appliance for 5 minutes, then check
If still spilling, another 5 minutes and retest. If it still fails, shut down and investigate.
Pilot aiding expulsion of fumes... first time I have heard of this happening.
Perhaps you could ask the chap how he would deal with a Bermuda that does not have a pilot i.e. the ignition is electronic.

A VP3 burns about 5Kw on high. I'm not convinced that a pilot will aid bugger all.

Has anyone measured a pilot? (I asked this before, but got no response, so probably not. Every one guesses at about a £1 for a certain period :) )

The chap needs to make sure not base his judgement on assumption

Apparently he didn't light the fire. He just pulled the front bit off, bent down and tut-tutted. Had to take one of the fireglow bulbs out and didn't replace it.
He also picked up on the main earth bond to gas being more than 600mm from the meter, I think he found it in the airing cupboard and said he'd re-route it when he fitted the new fire.
I'm sure the bermuda boiler is all electronic as I remember hearing it light during a dinner party a few years ago, it went tick-tick-whoomph which tells me it was electronic ignition.

Apparently he didn't light the fire. He just pulled the front bit off, bent down and tut-tutted. Had to take one of the fireglow bulbs out and didn't replace it.
He also picked up on the main earth bond to gas being more than 600mm from the meter, I think he found it in the airing cupboard and said he'd re-route it when he fitted the new fire.
I'm sure the bermuda boiler is all electronic as I remember hearing it light during a dinner party a few years ago, it went tick-tick-whoomph which tells me it was electronic ignition.

Fire has not got eletronic ignition sequence!!!
I could be wrong in which case I will stand corrected. :p

Fire has not got eletronic ignition sequence!!!
I could be wrong in which case I will stand corrected. :p

The Baxi Baroque Super and Baxi Arena Super are living
flame effect gas fires with a heat input of 5.57 kW (19,000
Btu/h) and an output of 3.40 kW (11,590 Btu/h) at its
maximum setting. The fires are available for use with Gas
Type G20 (Natural Gas) at 20mbar supply pressure. The
fires are suitable for either hearth or wall mounting and are
designed to be used on NATURAL GAS ONLY. NOTE: The
data and spillage test labels are located on the inner fire
support feet behind the fender front.
Electronic ignition is provided to light the pilot. The fire is
controlled by a control knob positioned on the right hand side
of the case. This control knob has six positions giving a
choice of four output settings.
Position
Position
Position
Position
Position
Position
The artificial coal bed may be illuminated by concealed bulbs
as and when required. The light effect is operated by a
switch situated below the control knob. It may be used
whether the fire is ON or OFF

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Good information Terry
There is a switch under the knob which powers the transformer when knob depressed, sparking commences to light the gas

I know.. Fitted and repaired dozens of
them! Still got a spare microswitch and spark generator in van!!

With depth of experience you have of this appliance Terry, can you confirm pilot flame aids evacuation of POCs? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That glass front costs kings ransom to replace or is it different now. Lovely fire

OP regardless of any fire front or BBU whether electronic or manual, if it has been de-commissioned properly and the fire passes the spillage test then it is perfectly safe, no the bbu pilot or anything else affects the POC from the fire

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back