BAXI BERMUDA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my pilot light cuts out after around half an hour, had the thermocouple replaced today but no sucess, now been told its either the valve or an electrical fault, however, i only had the valve replaced 2 years ago, could it be the valve already and what does it involve if it is electrical??? ANY IDEAS???

Please help, im freezing n cant wash my hair!!!! :mad: :cry:

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply, boiler serviced last october/november, is it common for a valve to fail after only 2 years? my plumber was shocked as he says he got same boiler and fire and his has worked for over 14 years!! whats an oxiwhateva u said?? can there be electrical problems then? :confused:

Shouldn't give Gas advice on this forum, so this is merely a "heads up". Did the fitter look at the boiler before deciding a t/c was needed? To an experienced guy, the fact it consistently goes out after 1/2 hour is a good pointer to the problem. It COULD be the valve, but I'd stick my neck out and say that he did not observe the condition of the pilot burner, or clean it out. Have a word with him, but first lie on the floor to look at pilot. Is it a nice stong and blue flame, or floppy and yellow. (floppy is never good, lol)

Sponsored Links
the flame was definately a strong blue, well covering the t/c aswell, watched over the guy who did it, said before he saw it that it would be the t/c as he was the one who replaced the valve less than 2 years ago and he didnt think it would be that !!! he said the only problems could be the t/c, the valve or an electrical fault, im worried if it isnt the valve as i am not sure what electricals problems would be involved??? :confused:

Dont believe it can be an electrical fault as the pilot does not need any form of electrical feed to the boiler to either ignite or stay alight. The thermocouple provides a small current that keeps the gas valve open regardless of any electrical feed (240v). Thermocouple is a cheap part and can be tested. I am sure someone more knowledgeable and qualified than me will be along shortly.

If it isnt the thermocouple then I would reckon the pilot injector needs a clean. Shouldn't be hard for someone who is qualified to tell you which part it is.

just had the thermocouple replaced today, no sucess with it, good to no it shouldn't be an electrical fault tho, thanks for your advice

Wait for someone else to come along to be 100 percent as I am only a DIYer. I have a gas valve from a working 401 that I took out recently but you might find it hard to find someone to fit it for you. Potentially there is a coil I believe inside the gas valve that energizes the valve to allow the gas to the pilot valve this could be at fault and you would need a new valve.

But as I say I am only a DIyer so wait for someone qualified to come along and confirm or deny what I am saying.

PS thanks for the thanks

I'm gonna say... partially blocked injector. please dont try yourself! :p better safe than... not lol

Highly unlikely to be the valve as they usually work or don`t work,unless it`s a faulty electrical connection to it somewhere.I also don`t think the 401 had an oxypilot.From your description it sounds more like a gas supply or combustion problem,either way you need someone to give it a thorough service.Make sure your engineer has the relevant qualifications for working on these boilers.

thanks for all your replies, what would happen if it was a faulty electrical part then? would that be costly, what happens if it is a gas supply or combustion problem? combustion doesnt sound good or very cheap??? :!: :cry:

on these old boilers, IF there is a combustion problem it will/could involve dangerous POC's being produced but even so they would go up the flue, if there is a prob with the flue these POC's would spill into the room via the draught divertor, so would not put the pilot out, i would plump for a gas supply prob, when the burner ignites and there isnt enough gas it starves the pilot of gas causing the thermocouple to cool down which causes the pilot to go out, a bit of investigation req'd, when the pilot goes out can it be lit easily and is it a good flame, if so the thermocouple and thermo electric valve inside the gas valve would appear to be ok, it is a bit of a pig to diagnose, checks can be made at the gas meter and appliance ut the gas engineer needs to e there when there is a prob, you could report it to the gas supplier and say (oops lie) that your gas guy has told you the pressure is very low, they will come and check (hopefully change the meter regulator) which could be causing fluctuating gas pressure causing the pilot to be starved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back