BAXI BERMUDA

hi scooby, he seems to think it could be a fault on the control timer box now. actually fixed it earlier this morning, only to get a call whilst at work to say that it had broken once again!!! Getting very annoyed with it now :mad: he said my pressure on boiler was 11 mb, which is fine for the boiler whilst it is on medium??

Sponsored Links
No way would a control/timer box cause a pilot to go out. 11mb whilst on medium, this is not a modulating boiler! It will not adjust gas usage according to temprature set on the thermostat. Unless he means the range rating of the boiler. As before wait for one of the experts come along as I am only a diy/er.

Ps you mention fixed it earlier, what fix was this (hopefully not the gas valve)

no, not had gas valve replaced, made him return it to store, all he did today was hoover the pilot thingy out and tighten the nut on the thermocouple, which seemed to work, pilot light stayed on for nearly two hours, had to turn heating off becos it got 2 hot... but when it was put on the next time it cut off after half an hour again!!!!! he seems to think the control panel could be sending false off commands to whereever if gets picked up???

was gunna av a different guy until i got told that he wouldnt even look at the problem until i agreed for him 2 service it,

To be fair Sarah, more often than not a service sorts out these problems. I tend to take the same line, and if you think about it, whilst it is stripped down, you may as well gret on with it.

From memory, 11 mb is withon the correct range, but I fear he has got wrong end of the stick. The 11mb is the burner pressure, we need to investigate the incoming pressure, as this is what would affect the pilot.

Sponsored Links
No way control panel. This only allows 240v to get to the boiler assuming roomstat (if fitted) is calling for heat. The pilot injector needs to be removed (2 minute job) after removing fire front and cleaning out properly not hoovering.

I would second several of the expert opinions here, ask National Grid to come and check pressure. Could well be a faulty governor at the meter, causing varying gas pressure in the property, this is not unknown.

National Grid Gas (0800 111999) should come and check this for free, should the governor prove to be at fault they'll replace it. Gas supply up to and including the meter is their property and responsibility.

SIMPLE dump the guy he does not have a clue on what is the most basic boiler you can get, also it should only take minutes for anyone to workout whether you have a pressure problem that would require NG.

No way would a control/timer box cause a pilot to go out. 11mb whilst on medium, this is not a modulating boiler! It will not adjust gas usage according to temprature set on the thermostat. Unless he means the range rating of the boiler. As before wait for one of the experts come along as I am only a diy/er.

Ps you mention fixed it earlier, what fix was this (hopefully not the gas valve)

scoob, 11mb is perfect for mid setting on this boiler, you are right it is ranged rated and this is the mid setting

aarggghhh, so frustrated right now, the latest....

finally cracked and told the guy to just put the valve in 2moro, if it works great, if he dont fix it he out on his hindy! only to now think it might be the thermostat thingy near the boiler (not the one on the wall). reason for this, i've sat for hours and watched it, when the wall control box is turned off, the pilot light stayed on all night, but when i turned the controls on, the piolt light ignited the burner? (the big flames that come up) stayed on for one n half hours, till the house gets very hot and then cuts the whole bloody thing off again! If it the valve, wouldn't the pilot light cut off when the controls are off as well, could it be a fault with the thermostat, its on 2 and becomes unbearable after 1hr not to mention the water is hot enough to make a brew!!!

Thermostat has no control over the pilot. Pilot is controlled by the thermocouple, when this gets hot (via the flame of the pilot) it creates a small voltage that holds the saftey valve open in the gas valve. If at anytime the pilot light does not reach the tip of the thermocouple the gas valve will suspend the flow of gas to the pilot. This could be caused by dirt in the pilot injector as already suggested, something wrong in the supply that causes perhaps when the main burner ignites the pilot to not reach the tip of the thermocouple. This should be very easy to diagnose by any competent person. From a DIY perspective perhaps you should be looking at the pilot and lighting gas burners on the cooker (could also use the fire front as well) and observing the pilot on the boiler to see if it fluctuates (assuming 2 people in the house). IF only one in the house then perhaps you could have the boiler on as in main burner firing and then see if you can cause the fault by doing the above.

Also could be the gas valve but I would be ruling out the cheaper options first.

PS you have a good clue that it didn't happen whilst left overnight with all controls off. No main burner firing (or any other gas usage in the property) so no fluctuations in gas pressure so no movement of flame on the thermocouple.

thanks to everyone for your advice, my heads spinning so much with all the confusion. Although i have every doubt it my mind about the valve, im gunna let him replace it, if it dont work, i can rule that out, cancel this guy, call out the national grid and if unsuccessful i look like hiring b/g workmen to do the job, if anyone has any further advice in the meantime any suggestions are highly appreciated. from what everyones saying, this sounds like a simple job that should have been fixed in a day or two, its almost a full week now im more confused than before, although i think i have learnt more than i need to know about the baxi boiler system, if this takes much longer i could soon have enuff experince to you guys to shame!!!! :LOL:

Interesting. Defo change tc again. Pilot burning ok. boiler heats up. If tc is working marginally, flame disturbance on shut down / reatart, will pull pilot light slightly off tc probe. Sudden drop in dc causes disengagement of solenid = closedown.

Of course, same symptons may present with poor pilot injector and defective solenoid.

Given history, I would change tc again PLUS pilot injector, before changing valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back