Baxi boilers - are they known as

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to get out boiler resited (and hence a new one) and a fair amount of plumbing work done.

The plumber - who we haven't used before but comes highly recommended - is suggesting using a Baxi Solo HE.

A friend tells me Baxis aren't know for their reliability (compared with, say, Worcester Bosch etc). I realise everyone has their favourites but any thoughts? We're spending quite a lot of money on the whole job so a a few hundred quid on a better boiler isn't significant.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The new solo is not the worst boiler out there,

there are however various better ones, vaillant or viessmann are about
the best and worscester coming in a close third.

I would be looking at the Broag and Atmos for starters

Potty/Baxi would be bottom of the list below coal fire :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your answers here.

Which boiler from the Vaillant range compares with the Baxi Solo HE?

ecoTech plus (500 series) is a stand alone boiler for open vented systems.

they range from 15 to 38 kw.

There also is the 600 series which is a sealed system boiler.

I had a Baxi combi fitted in my previous house and it was very unreliable - I had many of the components replaced over the years.

When it came to looking into boilers for my current house, I didn't even consider them - went for a Worcester Bosch instead.

500 series? I think you mean the Vaillant 400 series.

IMHO this is the black sheep of the Vaillant range being a UK only model based on Glowworm bits (who they own and address the budget end of the market).

If you want an open vent the Bosch CDi, Broag Avanta 18v and if they really have solved the electronic problems, the Vitodens 100 Compact.

PS: There is a rumour going around that Broag-Remeha's owners are interested in Poxi Batterton.

I had a Baxi combi fitted in my previous house and it was very unreliable - I had many of the components replaced over the years.

However, Baxi have come a long way in the past few years, alot of the initial bugs they had with the HE range have been ironed out. I.E. condensate trap,
conbustion chamber door seals, spark electrodes.

vitodens 100 compact all day long.

coming in at a very competitive price and installed by approved fitter, recieves a full 5 years parts/labour on everything and 10 years on the heat exchanger.

i've fitted quite a few and only 1 of the customers had a problem, 48 hours later viessmann had been, replaced the faulty ignition modual thingy and just for the sake of it, replaced PCB and started a new 2 year warrenty. (only 2 years because when i installed it i wasn't approved fitter)

With an open vent standard HE boiler there is very little to go wrong which ever make you chosse.

Saying that, I agree with Simon in that the only problems I get with Vaillants are their 400 series.

In general we like and fit a lot of Baxi boilers; you get occassional problems with any brand but Baxi are no worse than any other and at least you can work on them pretty easily.

I was also the very sad reciepant of a Baxi Bahama. It was the worst thing I have ever bought. Had nothing but problems with it and am now looking to change it for a Ferolli Optimax II HE 38 Combi. Any views on this boiler? Can't seem to get much information on their reliability. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back