Opinions on Baxi Solo HE Boilers please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As it says in the thread title really.

What are these boilers like in terms of reliability?

BG have just quoted for a Baxi Solo 24 HE to replace our problematic Ideal Minimiser boiler. So, is this a good boiler, average boiler or poor boiler?

What about ease of fitting?

The BG rep suggested that Worcester Bosch and GlowWorm boilers that they could offer would need some re-piping and cabling work to fit whereas the Baxi would be a straight swap for our current boiler installation.

Something about the feed to the HW cylinder needing to be 22mm to get full efficiency out of the WB or GlowWorm boilers??

Is this because the current boiler is a "heat only" boiler? Can't the recommended boilers of a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18i/24i or the Vaillant ecoTech Plus 618/624 boilers be installed as "heat only"?

Does this sound reasonable or was he just trying to push the Baxi for some reason?

I find it hard to believe that one boiler could just be a straight swap but other boilers would need floorboards removing etc.

Thoughts please.

Dave

Sponsored Links
You could have any make of boiler and most would be as straight a change as fitting a solo. The only times you'd need major work done is if you went for a combi instead of a heat only or if you need a pump overrun when there was not one previously (wire from boiler to pump).

I dont know whats inside the Solo HE but if its still a cast iron main HE then I would prefer a modern low water content type.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jason.

In that case I do have to say that I would prefer a stainless HE as used in Vaillant, Viessmann and Glow-Worm.

Tony

You could have any make of boiler and most would be as straight a change as fitting a solo. The only times you'd need major work done is if you went for a combi instead of a heat only or if you need a pump overrun when there was not one previously (wire from boiler to pump).
Thanks for the reply twgas.

Are you saying that all that I would seem to need (given that you can't have a look at the system) is a wire that connects the bolier to the pump?

I would expect the pump to keep running whenever the room stat & timer are calling for heat. As it stands, three conditions need to be satisfied for the pump to run (excluding HW demand) in my current system.

1) Timer has to have CH ON (obviously)

2) Room stat has to be demanding heat

3) Boiler stat has to be ON

If the boiler reaches the temp set by the boiler stat both the boiler AND the pump switch off. I would not expect this.

Also, if the room stat reaches temp, then the boiler & pump switch off (which is what I would expect)

It would seem to me that there is residual heat inside the boiler's heat exchanger and if the room stat is still calling for heat, then the pump should keep pumping water around the system so as to remove the residual heat from the heat exchanger.

This would reduce the temp of the heat exchanger inside the boiler which may cause the boiler to fire up again.

But my current system is not set up like this.

Is pump over-run where the boiler burner is off but the room stat & timer are still calling for heat and the pump is running?

Thanks to all of you for your help so far.

Dave

Hi,

A further thought occurs. Would wiring the pump so that it continues to run to remove residual heat from the boiler's heat exchanger also necessitate a small change to the pipework - a bypass if some type? Research suggests it would.

Would this bypass require a piped connection between boiler and pump or boiler & HW cylinder and if so, could this be what the BG Rep was talking about?

Cheers

Dave

pump over runs are used to disipate heat from the heat x when demand stops, to prevent overheating. the solo dosnt need one as its an ally heat x with a flow switch. the pump can be wired from the boiler if needed, and if fitted to a fully trv'ed s plan then it must be wired back to the boiler.

the solo he is an ok boiler, like all boilers they have their issues.

the pump overun is not an issue anyhow, because if you need to destroy the house to run the wire, maybe it would be easier to fit an external pump overun kit (wandering off topic a bit)

as tony said, stainless steel heat x would be better, and i would look for one with a 5 year warranty.

maybe speak to some of your local installes and get them to quote, you may be surprised at how much difference there is in the quotes for similar installations.

for instance i went to a bg instalation, back boiler for baxi duotec, and they fitted an electric suite as well. finance totalled 8000 pounds.......

Thanks Jason

Just to get this straight in my own mind so that I can ask the right questions when someone quotes...

You are saying that the Baxi Solo is an OK boiler but doesn't need a pump overrun because it has an allow heat exchanger?

But, it seems that you are also saying that the pump can be wired from the boiler if needed. Currently it is wired from the cylinder thermostat?

I have not come across an "external pump overrun kit". Can you (or someone else) explain what one is and what would be involved in fitting one (no I am not going to fit it - I just want to know what level of internal disruption would be required). To help. the boiler is in the basement 2 floors below the HW cylinder & system pump.

Have asked for several quotes. 3 local installers & one national (Br Gas). One quote so far for boiler replacement only (& installation of Magnaclean filter) for a total of £2100. Does this sound reasonable for a Baxi Solo 24 HE?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Cheers

Dave

In 90 % of installations it wont require a pump to be wired to the boiler or the pump over run kit ONLY wire pump to this boiler if it is a fully TRV'd installation with no bypasses of any sort ie 3 port valve!
and a pump over run kit is merely a timer which keepes the pump running for a set time after demand has ceased to disapte latent heat! :D

And Jase what do you mean like the Promax Heat Exchanger its exactly the same LOL :LOL:

In 90 % of installations it wont require a pump to be wired to the boiler or the pump over run kit ONLY wire pump to this boiler if it is a fully TRV'd installation with no bypasses of any sort ie 3 port valve!

and a pump over run kit is merely a timer which keepes the pump running for a set time after demand has ceased to disapte latent heat! :D
Thanks for that explanation - my knowledge is increasing slowly!

Can this be added to ANY boiler? It seems that it would make the system more efficient - so instead of residual heat "leaking" into the basement from the boiler, it would actually do some good in heating the house?

There are no TRVs on the system anywhere (yet).

When system is drained down, seems like a good plan to add some, especially to uppermost floor.

I gather that TRVs can be added to flow OR return pipe now - they always used to be installed in the flow didn't they?

Cheers

Just to get this straight in my own mind so that I can ask the right questions when someone quotes...

You're not the first OP who believes hastily gathered half information will be of any use at quote stage. Not being knowledgeable won't put you at a disadvantage if you're generally streetwise. Same as no amount of swatting can help if you're a mug.

A good heating professional will explain everything they can offer after listening to what you require. By trying to reverse that role you'll tend to attract the more desperate end of the trade into your home.

Solo He IS an ally heat x. Its the same as the promax. Barcalona and 100he. The solo 3 pfl was a cast iron heat x.

Your right realy winds me up when infomation on the net is incorrect...;)

Just to throw my tuppence worth in, an alternative 'Heat-only' with a five year warranty would be a Viessmann Compact (26kw).

These have a Stainless Steel heat exchanger, completley different style of Radial type burner. No pump-overrrun required.

This would be my first choice, but have fitted the SoloHE as well. The Baxi has a slightly larger diameter flue(chimney....) so need a larger hole to be cut through any outside wall.

The Viessmann can be wired to include pump overrun via the boilers PCB if wished.

DH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back