Baxi boilers - are they known as

We're about to get out boiler resited (and hence a new one) and a fair amount of plumbing work done.

The plumber - who we haven't used before but comes highly recommended - is suggesting using a Baxi Solo HE.

A friend tells me Baxis aren't know for their reliability (compared with, say, Worcester Bosch etc). I realise everyone has their favourites but any thoughts? We're spending quite a lot of money on the whole job so a a few hundred quid on a better boiler isn't significant.

Thanks in advance.

Bit late I know but I`m sorry I didn`t get to your post before all the armchair know-alls like do it all who has no experience whatsoever in fitting domestic boilers, these would be installers base all their advice on hearsay & rumour mostly from the media & other Numpty`s.

Stay away from Glowworm, all else is pretty good & will do as it says on the tin.

Sponsored Links
So are you saying the Baxi HE is ok, Bambi?

It is a pile of ****e, Electrodes are crap, Heat exchanger is like a sponge and the pcb will proballay go pop and thats from the horses mouth.

Fit a boiler with a stainless heat x (any manufacture)

[quote="Bamber gaspipe";p="848427]

would be installers base all their advice on hearsay & rumour mostly from the media & other Numpty`s.

[/quote]

Its not the installaers you should listen too as they dont have to fix them when they go pop.

Sponsored Links
these replies are getting more and more cryptic ...

Basically, I just want to know if the Baxi Solo HE is, beyond reasonable expectations, known to be unreliable.

To summarise:
1 It seems that Baxi have had a mixed reputation in the past. So it seems people with Baxi Bahamas had some trouble etc (which may or may not have led to the poor reputation of the company overall)
2 In general Vaillant and Worcester-Bosch seem to be more respected boiler brands.
3 Otherwise, it's a bit of personal taste and prejudice.

Would that be fair?

No, it would not be fair.

Baxi of old were very good boilers generally.

The new boilers are bottom of the pit, look through the forums for problems, the baxi comes up time and again.

Thanks doitall. But over the last set of posts only two people (you included) specifically come out as negative about the Baxi.

And the only specific alternative named (Vaillant ECOTECH 400?500?) is then slagged off in the next post!

In a November 2007 Which? report - the Baxi does reasonably well - not a best buy but they're all combis.

Forget the which report, it is worthless.

One particular boiler came top and bottom.

Another was rated near the top, whilst a re-badge identical boiler was about a 100 places lower.

Most of the lower to mid range boilers are un-reliable, and are fitted simply because of installer preference, I have no preferences because I don't install any of them.

My advice for what its worth is go for the guarantee, Alpha for example give an 5 year, provided you fit the gadget that hold it on the wall.

sorry to rain on the alpha parade but the new ones look like hideous nightmares in waiting.

no doubt they will carry on the alpha flag for leaking for weeks afterwards if you do anything on it.

you have all forgot to put the POTTERTON on the end of baxi...enough said

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back