Baxi EcoGen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking of having a new gas boiler in the spring because of the scrappage scheme, I have searched the net about the Baxi EcoGen but can't find anyone who has this installed, is there anyone out there that has knowledge of this unit?

If not, what are your recomendations?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
I could be wrong but i think the ecogen is the duotech which has been badged up for sale at certain plumbing merchants.

I could be wrong but i think the ecogen is the duotech which has been badged up for sale at certain plumbing merchants.

I think you are spot on but there is diffrences that i dont know about and i only fit Baxi/Potterton boilers but just like the equivelant performa and Duo TEc there is a slight difference in size and weight which i have never worked out.

Ecogen is a gas boiler with capability to generate up to 1kw electricity.... Not a rebadged duo tec at all

Sponsored Links
As I said I wasn't sure. We don't work on the micro-chp stuff. I had seen the rebadged duotech being sold in PTS under some alternative name. Apologies for any confusion I may have created.

The Baxi Ecogen is a gas boiler, but as davebgas says it has the capability to also generate electricity as it has a stirling engine inside.

The units will be avilable in 2010.

You can find more information at www.baxiecogen.com.

Baxi

The Baxi Ecogen is a gas boiler, but as davebgas says it has the capability to also generate electricity as it has a stirling engine inside.

The units will be avilable in 2010.

You can find more information at www.baxiecogen.com.

Baxi

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't seen any information on pricing, or if I will have to pay for a smart meter to be fitted to sell unused electric back to the grid, or if I can just use the electric generated to only power my home and keep the meter I have now. :confused:

I guess the above will depend on which energy supplier I'm with, and if the Goverment will force energy suppliers to partake in the scheme.

Hopefully Baxi will publish more information on this.

Cheers

I saw this boiler at the baxi training centre,It will have to be fitted down stairs first because of the weight.

Also they told us there is some exclusivity deal with british gas ,who are already field trialing these boilers

From the look of it ,an excellent selling tool,but noisy complicated beast and the sterling engine will have its own issues ,but for the greenwash salesman an excellent bow to their string

There are alot better eco friendly products out there ,with realistic payback times and low mantainence costs

The Baxi Ecogen can be installed on any floor provided the wall can take the weight. It is larger than a regular boiler but it is no heavier than a small cylinder that is often fitted in an upstairs airing cupboard.

The stirling engine is sealed for life and is maintenance free. All other parts are familiar boiler components that are serviced in the normal way. In terms of noise whilst in operation, you are looking at around 45dB which is comparable to a running fridge.

The Baxi Ecogen will payback the incremental cost above a conventional boiler in a shorter period of time than any other low carbon alternative to a conventional boiler.

You can read some real life case studies of those using Ecogen every day here: http://www.baxi.co.uk/1359.htm

@Baxi

I can understand that the sterling engine is sealed for life, but I don't think that means it's guaranteed for life or does it ?

If it doesn't, then happyplumber's comments may well be correct

Baxi

This sealed for life sterling engine,how many running hours is garunteed on it? yes i did hear the speel at baxi HQ!

For example will Baxi give 10 year warranty on the sterling engine?

The stirling engine in the Baxi Ecogen is designed and manufactured to very high standards. It can be compared to a compressor in a fridge freezer in that it doen't require annual servicing and rarely fails.

We have carried out years of extensive testing both in the laboratory and out in the field and are confident in the performance of the stirling engine.

Baxi

Baxi";p="1447310 said:
The stirling engine in the Baxi Ecogen is designed and manufactured to very high standards. It can be compared to a compressor in a fridge freezer in that it doen't require annual servicing and rarely fails.

We have carried out years of extensive testing both in the laboratory and out in the field and are confident in the performance of the stirling engine.

:) :) :)

WHAT since 2006?

Everything you have said so far is sales speel simple question ,how long is the warranty on the engine and boiler as complete package,specially at horrendous price Baxi are charging for this unit??

Baxi

Hi Baxi,

Can I become a part of your field trial ;)

Seriously though, would like a pre production unit for discount to give feedback, well if you don't ask you don't get... :)

I know of a household in Blackpool-Lancs where the Baxi EcoGen has been on field trial now for 2 years. Only one failure of the unit to report and that was a flame detection probe. Brilliant piece of kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back