1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Baxi HE 80 Instant- Divertor Valve Issue

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by twentytwenty, 17 Sep 2020.

1. twentytwenty

twentytwenty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction to try and fix the following.

In a nutshell the pin in the divertor valve is sticking - see location in image below. (that's what I can decipher anyway).

[​IMG]

When I run hot water the pin sticks out. It remains in this position and the heating never comes on when set on the timer or by using the 'Heating On' mode.
    To get the heating to work I just pop off the sensor and push the pin in and the heating comes back on (if it's set to come on the timer etc..)

It has recently had a new diaphgram...

Any idea on what a fix might entail.

I have read somewhere that you pin might need greasing or could it be something more substantial. If so it might force me to purchase a new boiler.

Thanks for your help and advice.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Ihavenojob

Ihavenojob

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the washers in the weep tubes to the valve are the wrong size (ie the hole restricted) this can cause the symptoms you have.

4. twentytwenty

twentytwenty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    To my knowledge they have never been changed. Where are they located?

5. Ihavenojob

Ihavenojob

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The flow switch you are pointing to has 2 small pipes going to the underneath of it, the unions where they join have small fibre washers in them.If the diaphragm in it was changed, then PTFE tape may have been used to re seal them.

6. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That part you are pointing to is the differential valve, you have a restricted flow problem or weak pump problem, and your boiler is a Baxi HE 80 Instant, not an HE80 they are different

7. Sponsored Links
  8. twentytwenty

twentytwenty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply. Is it easy to check if it a restricted flow problem?. I'll update the title too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ihavenojob

Ihavenojob

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  10. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    drop the system pressure and cover the pcb cover with clingfilm or a towel , any remaning water in these goes straight into the electronics if not protected, remove and inspect the hydraulic venturi, (see manual ) they are the most common problem on these, they break up and cause the problem you are having , @gas112 is very experienced with these , I have tagged him for you and he might be able to suggest something else

11. gas112

gas112

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    pin may gunged up or it may have become detached from the the plate that its attached to plate moves for hot water and when it returns it leaves the pin activating switch , happening quite a bit on non instant 80 and 105s now they are getting on for 20 year old as plastic disintegrates

• Like Like x 1