Baxi Megaflo Boiler - Sudden pressure rise then dreaded E168

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Baxi boiler that is failing every day or so, going straight into error code e168. See video below...
The problem is baffling our local British Gas engineers who have replaced parts (pump, 3-way switch for water, PCB twice) and say the problem is now most likely caused by system blockages and needs flushing by them to the tune of £720 (only the boiler and controls are covered as the pipes and rads are not part of the breakdown cover I have with them!).
Rather than me try and explain what happens to them and anyone reading this post, I set a webcam up to record the pressure and temperature gauges, the event in question usually happens after heating has been on for a few hours, but sometimes it can go for days without problem.
Our attention was first drawn towards something being wrong when we heard the boiler banging and clattering back in February at which time I refilled with water as pressure had dropped to almost nothing, according to gauge.
Note: one of the BG engineers says there is no problem with pressure vessel / diaphragm or PRV as he checked all.
When the system is running all seems fine with radiators getting hot. There have been no system mods (like re-positioned rads) done in at least the last 2 years, so nothing has changed recently that would ring my alarm bells.
The video is here, watch what happens at about 12 seconds in. https://youtu.be/6SM6LZpeO_A

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back