Baxi Platinum 33 HE or is there a better alternative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we need a new central heating system installed and have had a few quotes done. The guy that we are probably going to hire to do the work has quoted us for a Baxi Platinum 33HE and says they come with a five year warranty. He has also said that if we would prefer a different brand of boiler he is happy to fit a WB or Vaillant. My question to you all is: bearing in mind the Baxi is a high end boiler (getting on for £1200 I think) would you recommend a similarly priced/spec'd Vallaint or Worcester Bosch over the Baxi, and if so why? I've read a few worrying Baxi reviews, including the Which? article which rated Baxi as bottom for reliability and so would really appreciate some honest, impartial views.

For info we have a three bedroom average sized semi with one bathroom.

Many thanks for your help. :)

Sponsored Links
No experience of the Baxi, personally I'd fit an Intergas Combi Compact HRE 36/30, very reliable boiler with a five year warranty if you use a Platinum 5 installer (otherwise it's three years), far less parts in these boilers and therefore less to go wrong, and they've proved extremely reliable in service to date.

Incidentally you can pick up that Baxi for around £980 including the flue and a timer

No need to go with platinium now .
Go with the new baxi duotec comes with free 5 year g`tee and is hundreds cheaper as the price of the g`tee is not built into buying price like the platinuim.

Sponsored Links
namsag, looking at the intergas and duotec prices, I see both boilers at around a grand and guarantee for Baxi Duotec quoted as 2 years.

Am looking for a boiler for my son's house which is to have UF heating in the extension. Have lloked at various (Vaillant, Baxi/ Potterton- do llike the sound of 5 year warrenty, and the Intergas)

If you get a Worcester 30CDi or 37CDi installed by a top tier Bosch Accredited, there's a free 7 yr warranty at the moment........

If you get a Worcester 30CDi or 37CDi installed by a top tier Bosch Accredited, there's a free 7 yr warranty at the moment........

There's a 7 year warranty on Lamborghini boilers as well, it doesn't mean you should actually have one...

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I'll have a look at the Intergas and mention it to my plumber. Muggles do you not rate the Worcester Bosch then? My dad's got a 10 year old Bosch which he had serviced last week and the British Gas engineer said they are/were the best boilers you can buy and that he'd bought one for himself recently. Not sure what to make of that but my dad thinks I should go down the WB route.
As for the Baxi do you think the Which? review was a little harsh rating it bottom? I know Which? are supposed to be trustworthy but the review I read seemed pretty generic and seemed to mark the Platinum down just for Baxi's reliability issues in general.
No-one seems to have mentioned Vaillant at all, even though I keep hearing they are supposed to be the best, any reason why people aren't recommending them?
I've read good and bad things about most manufacturers to be honest, and just looking through the last few pages of this forum there are issues with Vaillant's, WB's and various others. I can see this being a tough desicion to make, and I'm notoriously bad at making decisions... :(

If you don't have an Intergas, and you really should, then I'd have Vaillant as a second choice above all the others mentioned here, Intergas is still the one to go for really though for a number of very good reasons

sorry for hijack.
DP the latest duotec comes with 5 year g`tee for free if it is registered on the baxi works site by 31/12
The works site is free to join and you get about 20 quid for every boiler you register. And nip into PC they are doing them at fixed price which is reasonable and comes with either bundle of 15 or half bundle of 22 for free

MrRichT, I wouldn't **** on a which mag even if it was on fire. they know sweet FA about boilers.

I know intergas is good, I dont rate WB very well, I dont like dealing with Valliant and baxi is good or bad as any other boiler really.

Thanks for the honest advice everyone! Mehran is it Vaillant's customer service that's bad? I think that was the reason the plumber gave for not using them any more if I remember right.
Namsag, thanks for the info, I'll mention that to my plumber and see if he's aware of it. I'll also mention Intergas and see what he thinks.

Edit: sorry Namsag I can't see anything on the Baxi Works site about a 5 year warranty for the Duotec's. Can you send me a link?

Vaillant's customer service has a long history of being rubbish unfortunately. Your installer may not have yet been educated on the superior design of Intergas boilers, he might not even have heard of them, but you really should have one if you're having a combi. I wouldn't have anything else in my house

Thanks muggles, I've had a quick read up on the Intergas and they do look good. Less bits inside so less to go wrong! Only thing that sounds like it might be a problem is getting hold of parts as they don't seem to be very prevalent at the moment.
I do like the look of those new Baxi Duotec's with their Think combustion management system too...

Parts aren't an issue, by the time your Intergas is likely to need any they'll be all over the place, and can already be ordered through most good merchants

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back