baxi solo 2 gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moving into a new house soon it has a baxi solo 2 gas boiler i was in the house about a month ago to view the house i had a look around so i decided to turn on the boiler, at first it did not fire i just heard a clicking sound for a min or two and then all of a sudden she fired up and away she she went, all rads heated up great and then i turned her off at timeclock but left main power switch on, came back today for the first time in a month as i am moving in soon. As i was outside the house i could hear a noise coming from the flue but it was cold air expelling from it i went into the house timeclock was in the off position but as i said before main switch was on i could hear a huming from the boiler still. I removed the front plate on the boiler and the fan light was on but all the rest of the lights were off (boiler light, burner light, pilot light, overheat all off) so i switched off the main supply switch and fan stoped running then i switched it back on again and fan stayed off and light was off then i tryed to fire her up and turned her on at the timeclock and all that happened was the fan started running again and also the boiler light lit up aswell as fan light and notting more happened, no other lights came on and notting else happened does anyone have any ideas? No one is living in the house for months so boiler is never on could this play a part in this very cold weather. Thanks for reading :D

Sponsored Links
I expect the boiler has failed and so they are selling the house!

The PCBs are a common failure point on that model.

Tony

No contracts signed yet not until its sorted :D

Thats good !

Just tell them that you made your offer on the basis of the boiler working but you now find thats its not so you want to get £400 of the purchase price to cover the repairs costs.

british Gas might do a fixed price repair for about £200 if its new enough and properly installed.

You dont say where you are but I could probably go anywhere in Englind to repair a boiler for £400 including the PCB which we already have in stock.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I am going to say it to the estate agent tomorrow and let them get onto the seller to get it sorted, im sure with the way the property market is nowadays they will be more than happy to get it sorted fairly quickly to make the sale. Im from liverpool

We have a contributor here called Sooey who is in your area and could deal with it.

Dont be fooled by the property market!

There is a shortage of properties for sale in most parts of the country and prices rose last year by 5.9%.

Same with cars, Dealer I saw on Monday said if I wanted a new car the earliest I would get it would be the end of February if I was lucky. In November their best salesman sold 14 new cars and 11 used cars!

Tony

I had a RGI around the other day, he told me fan needs changing even tho it was working when i was looking at it but i had the power turned off for a few days before he looked at it and we had a leak in the bathroom right above the kitchen and the boiler. The pump in my triton t90 electric shower cracked and broke due to freezing and water was ****ing out of it and went down through the ceiling and all down by the boiler aswell so hope when the fan is sorted there wont be more problems. How much should it cost to replace a fan on this boiler and is there much work involved in replacing it (how long should it take) its a baxi solo 2 50pf?

Fan costs from about £130 and we charge a diagnostic fee of £84 in our local area.

The fan is quite well protected on a Solo 2 from water pouring over the outside so I am surprised if its really failed.

Could also be water in other parts.

Tony

Boiler sorted now new fan fitted, he turned the temp down on the boiler to 0 so what is the ideal temp to have this boiler turned up to as i dont know what it was set at before. It goes from 0-6. Thanks

Sorry to be asking so many questions but on an oil boiler stat usually goes from 60 degrees to 80 degrees, what degrees temp correspond to 3/4 setting on this gas boiler and can it be turned down in the summer just for hot water as cylinder has no stat thanks

Fan costs from about £130 and we charge a diagnostic fee of £84 in our local area.

The fan is quite well protected on a Solo 2 from water pouring over the outside so I am surprised if its really failed.

Could also be water in other parts.

Tony

Im new to this site, but 'Agile' why do you advertise prices so much. A diagnosic fee of £84! What will you then charge as a labour fee to replace it?
What do you charge to service a WAU & Circulator?

Ryan, different boilers need different thermostat settings.

Generally the lowest which will give enough heat output is the most efficient and will reduce cycling on a modulating boiler. That optimum setting will change as the outside temperature changes.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back