Baxi Solo 3 boiler completely dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pump sounded knackered, so I replaced it (quite easy job) this evening. I noted the water in the pipes was black, although not sludgy. The new pump duly ran for a while and all was well (although the rads seemed to take forever to even start getting lukewarm. Then the boiler stopped, as did the pump. Did usual checks (thermostat, timer switch, fuse governing power to the boiler). When I turn off and on the power to the boiler, I hear a slight relay "click" from within, but nothing. No lights, no action at all. Thermostat pot turned up/down/off and on makes no difference. No lamps lit at all - completely dead. When it DID eventually come on (with me flicking the power supply off/on/off/on repeatedly a few times) it came on and fired up, but the pump and nothing else did come on. I cannot afford to call someone out, plus my local dudes are all "2 or 3 days soonest mate" probably due to the cold snap. I've got a familly and we're freezing ... please, please, please ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!! I suspect the pcb circuit board might be knackered - your thoughts? If so, where would I get one from - do you know? Please help ...

Sponsored Links
Good call, did check using small multimeter and it's fine. Based on the fact the pump wasn't being triggered, the gas pressure is good and electrics fine - I've decided it must most likely be the pcb board. Bought one new off eBay and should arrive tomorrow morning, so will update when it arrives and is fitted - so see what difference it's made. Will also try to bleed and flush system out this weekend, as the water being black is probably not a good thing (I'm planning on (a) emptying, (b) flushing through with clean until the black stuff mostly disappears, (c) adding cleaner to expansion tank and refilling whole system, (d) running for 48hrs, (e) emptying and flushing again, (f) filling with inhibitor - does that sound like a plan?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back