GlowWorm 30CXi completely dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Got a ~6/7 year old GlowWorm 30cxi installed...

Woke up this morning to no heating. Checked boiler and it was showing 0.5bar (we've just moved into property and knew there was a slow leak on the system but not investigated it fully yet.)

Turned the system off to reset it and opened up the filler tap to re-pressurise it. After a short delay, I turned the power switch back on but instead of the power light coming on and the CH firing, the pressure display just flashed on and off, as did the digital display on the timer. At the same time, the fan was trying to spin up, but was just pulsing on and off every second or so. So I turned it all off and left it a short time again. Now, when I switch the power on it does absolutley nothing!

I've had an engineer out and between us, we think it is the PCB that is knackered. With a multi-meter, there is power getting to the PCB but nothing seems to be getting out the other side, to the low-voltage outputs. There is no voltage showing at the fan for instance or the gas valve (although this appears to show the correct 55Ohms across it's terminals.)

Unfortunately, we are going to have to wait until Monday before a new PCB can be fitted - I just wanted to check if this sounds like the right course of action? I don't want to just change parts one after the other and hope it fixes it!

Sponsored Links
how did you check what pressure you were putting in the system ? the pressure gauge is on the front display which you only be able to see if the boiler has power going to it in standby mode

Yep would def say it sounds like PCB has had it. Worked on a few GW 30ci and cxi where fan pulsates and display flashing where board has gone. If engineer has checked power to PCB and showing these symptoms then should all be up and running on Monday......think the other test from memory on the board is the dc voltage, pull top right terminal on board away slightly and do DC check on PCB contacts ....last one and second one in....was a while ago though that did the DC test with GW tech on the line.

Sponsored Links
I think your wasting you time and money with a new PCB, and think its just a simple fix that wont cost you nothing, forum rules dont allow us to go further but I wouldnt condemn the PCB just yet, get a second opinion.

how did you check what pressure you were putting in the system ? the pressure gauge is on the front display which you only be able to see if the boiler has power going to it in standby mode

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. You need to leave boiler's power on to see the LCD pressure display.

Another worrying thing was when you said that 'between us (you and engineer), we think it is the PCB'. Did the engineer need your advice in coming to his diagnosis?

It may well be the PCB, but make sure you aren't charged for one if it doesn't fix it. Test the hw and ch before getting out your hard-earned.

Also, please let us know how you got on.

Hi everyone,

Been too busy to reply before now but thanks for the comments so far...

@CBF - Obviously I couldn't see the pressure with it off, however I could get enough in it to reset it from the fault state, then once it is back on get the pressure to 1.0bar correctly or at least that's what I did last time - I understood I need to cycle the power to reset any fault?

@Suavegit - thanks for the comments. There is deffo power to the PCB but nothing at all is coming on or has any power, further downstream in terms of the circuits.

@Agile - no, neither am I hence me posting here ;) However as a layman, it's hard to not take the advice of someone who comes out to try and fix it.

@easyflow - I struggled getting a first opinion, the guy who came out was the only one who got back to us out of a load of recommended numbers and was happy to come out asap on a Saturday. My wife is 9 months pregnant and could go at any time, so I really didn't fancy waiting around for someone who might turn up in the week. (Although the earache from 'er indoors over the cold might have took my mind of the problem :) )

As for it being a simple, no cost fix but you can't tell me?! Is anyone willing to share the info to help me out, maybe by direct email or text or something? Or is it related to the gas side of things that I can't touch?

@Whitespirit66 - I'm not sure how familiar the guy is with GlowWorms, however as I've mentioned, with no other choice I had to trust his judgement. He was on the phone to a colleague for a second opinion too. When I said between us, simply meant both of us talking it through and reasoning what the cause could be, based on the investigation.

Deffo won't be paying for a PCB if it doesn't fix it!

Thanks again everyone - as I say, if anyone would be good enough to give me some off-forum advice somehow, it would be really appreciated, especially if it saves a replacement PCB and the guy having to come back out again.

Easyflow

Dont mean to be ignorant but what did you mean about the forum rules?
Yep, I'd love to understand about this too. Feeling a lot frustrated that there could be a simple fix but no-one can tell me! Daren't tell the wife in case the anger induces labour!

Seeing as it looks like I'm not going to get much direct help here, can anyone recommend an engineer in Liverpool who knows GlowWorms?

Dont want to upset anyone but there is a fuse on the pcb. Would have presumed it was checked whilst checking for power at the board.

Well I'm still inclined to say its the board. Especially as the fan was pulsating and screen flashing. In my limited experience of the cxi and ci's that alone has indicated the board. Sorry cant help anymore.

Thanks again suavegit, at least you are offering some help. Really can't understand what the point is of a forum where helpful answers can't be given... Would still love to understand what forums rules apply in this case.

Anyway, just done some more testing with a meter (your question about the fuse made me want to check again!).

There is 240v getting to the main switch.
The switch appears to work, and when set to the 1 position 240v is fed to the main PCB inputs.
However, there is no reading across the fuse on the board.

Whether this means the board itself is frazzled I don't know, maybe it has a separate transformer or maybe it is one of the other controls connected to the board.

Guess I'll have to give up and hope the guy comes back tomorrow with a board that fixes it unless anyone wants to share more, hopefully helpful advice?

I expect the main issue is that there are alot of chancers on here (not saying you are one btw) that will go and then do the work themselves when ONLY that type of work should be carried out by a registered gas engineer.

In essence taking not only money from the hard working honest professional (majority of us), but in the main ensuring yours and everyones safety when dealing with any gas appliance.

Having said that I would get your man to ring GW tech if in any doubt beforehand and they will run through an additional test you can do to confirm its the pcb.

Isnt sharing caring? ......dont want to open a can of worms!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back