Baxi Solo 3 PF50 boiler - Chattering relay fault

Sponsored Links
ACOperson said:
Ive got a masters degree, and am also CORGI registered...

:D Great innit?!

Dam rite it is

I have A diploma from the school of life
a Certificate from the playschool of having the **** kicked out of you

AND i was a Milk Moniter

:)

Sponsored Links
Obviously all plumbers are fat thick blokes out to rip everyone off, and anyone with a degree can't tell one end of a hammer from the other and thinks he knows it all. :rolleyes:

Underworlde I expect you're probably right, if you stick reasonable looking replacement components in a board it'll be ok.
Point is though that you can never be sure of what was in the designer's brief, or his head.
You might pick a capacitor with low esr or LD50 or whatever without realising that the original was chosen for its failure mode, of reducing in value or going short at high temperature or over voltage. Like you wouldn't necessarily be clever in replacing an unreliable tantalum with a much better aluminium, - which wouldn't blow the fuse if it failed. That might have been the ONLY overvoltage protection!
A cheap transistor may be in there with lousy pi parameters to keep a filter bandwidth wide. We know of resistors in some potty boards which are chosen because they guarantee to fail open in specific envelopes - they look ordinary though.

OK, pretty unlikely that there would be problems, but those are the sorts of reasons why there are those who say don't touch, with justification.

Right, back to bossing out that lead back gutter for my chimney...

True Chris, very true... I would not advise anyone to do this...

BTW peeps, I am NOT saying, or otherwise implying that plumbers, per-se are fat thick blokes (or blokessess) or that they are uneducated. That would be rather narrow minded....

underwurlde said:
Just from purely my point of view, seeing every Tom, Dick and Harry calling themselves 'Engineers'...
...what? Is it your engineering training that has resulted in your leaving sentences unfinished, or is it your

...if I had designed that board and they were in production, they would be built, tested, boxed and out the friggin door for less than a b****y tenner mate.
For one thing, I'm not your mate. For another, you're wrong.

I base that on the products that I have designed and are currently in production both here and China.
If you ignore the cost of design, the cost of establishing a manufacturing plant, the cost of piloting a line, the rate of failures and scrap, the cost of shipping, assume that the production volume is large, and regard the cost of manufacture as being whatever it costs to buy the components and produce one board in a huge batch, then you're right. As an "engineer", do you consider your statement (that a board costs <= £10 to make) to be of any value, other than being for the purpose of you showing off (and rather unsuccessfully)?

If the argument is so easy to win then off you go.
Very well - you're wrong. Hm; that was easier than even I was expecting.

Hopefully I can learn something.
That's doubtful - you have a closed mind, and one that all too readily makes assumptions.

Anyway, lot of anger coming out here for some strange reason. Perhaps you guys just don't like Electronics Engineers... :confused:
Er, no - it's loud-mouths that most forum members dislike. I'm also a loud mouth, so I'm also disliked, but at least I'm not wrong.

BTW, sorry about the spelling, I type very fast and didn't spot the 'Spell Check' button, thanks for pointing that out.
No apology necessary - it's entirely expected that you would want to rush out the finished product without adequate testing.

Your right the first time all plumbers are fat men, only too willing to rip the public off :LOL:

ps crash helmets on, so give me your best shot :LOL: ;)

markie said:
Your right the first time all plumbers are fat men...
Do you mind! :eek:

I was a fat woman before I had the op. - but so often I felt there was a fat man inside me trying to get out. :D

@softus. Dude, calm down and wind your neck back in!

Obviously no point in me becoming embroiled in and wasting my time with a meaningless argument with a person who has clearly got the worlds biggest chip on his shoulder!

Andy

Obviously no point in me becoming embroiled in and wasting my time with a meaningless argument with a person who has clearly got the worlds biggest chip on his shoulder!

Andy

Standby for a Softus salvo....

Underwurlde, perhaps if you have so much experience in this field, maybe you should punt yourself around some of the leading manufacturer's and show them how to make electronic component's bulletproof.

sorry forgot, you just like to waste your wealth of experience blowing your own trumpet on a forum like this :rolleyes:

@Underwurlde...

I reckon it's precisely because the pcb's are made down to a price that these problems exist.

My background is in electronics too, though I have just a humble ONC. I guess in the great "Engineering is being devalued" debate I'd rank as a technician though we do have something in common, I too have spent the last 16 years rectifying problems caused by design errors but more likely design cost/performance comprimises.

I've done the same as you in the past and wouldn't think twice about doing the same again re replacing electrolytics and clearing dry joints.

But......

Speaking as someone who has posted for help on here before and got very good advice, do you not think that if you re-read your post you come across as ever so slightly arrogant ?

I'd hate to think that you ever get a non electronics related boiler fault that gives you a problem - I doubt that the people in the know here would be queueing up to assist you ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back