Baxi Solo PF Conventional boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recent problem with this boiler.

Selecting HW/Heating, boiler files up fine, took me an hour to realise the water or heating wasnt working.

Looking at the flame picture, the burner seems to produce a very small flame around the pilot area, only in the corner of the burner area.

The burner is clean with no debris, my suspicions are with the gas valve.

Any ideas out there lads/lassies ?.

regards
Al

Sponsored Links
first thing, you need to make sure a demand is going to boiler. you make have turned programmer on, but that don't mean boiler has been given power, have u got power on the switched live to boiler?

If it has you need a RGI my friend, could be a gas valve, could be an overheat stat/interupter, fan. All parts which you need a gas cert to mess with.

Sponsored Links
No problem, I'm assuming power is ok, as the power lights work on the boiler, please correct me if im wrong.

The fan spins up no bother, and the boiler will stay lit for maybe 30 mins, just no heat from flow.

I'll get my gas safe pal to have a look, he's more of a combi installer then a gas service engineer.

cheers Plummerman for pointers.

Al

It could be a gas valve, or as a friend of mine found out to his own cost the other day, your regulator or incoming gas supply may be faulty. The boiler lit but a candle would have heated the water up faster due to insufficent gas supply coming in. Customer is presently running heating of a transco bottle while the street is being dug up

Ask your " friend" to check burner pressure and the dynamic working pressure.
Baxi Solo is spot rated, if the pressures ain't wot they say on the tin you have a problem

I beleive im qualified to test my own burner pressure, working pressure.

I reckon the unit is 10 years old, I might get him to fit new gas valve, seems to be around £85 inc.

many thanks plummerman

Al

Al-Glasgow";p="1578394 said:
I beleive im qualified to test my own burner pressure, working pressure.

I reckon the unit is 10 years old, I might get him to fit new gas valve, seems to be around £85 inc.

Al if you are qualified to check burner pressure you must be qualified to fit a gas valve

I'm getting 0 mbar for dynamic working pressure.

I'm getting approx 21 mbar at pilot.

I'm getting 230 to pilot soilenoid, then 230 to burner solenoid.

I think the gas valve is fooked, unless blockage is likely ?.

Any comments guys. ?

Al

1.5k ohms @ the solenoid.

open circuit measuring across l/n with wires disconnected.

cheers
Al

So you have power getting to the coil and you know the power is going through the coil.
Assuming you have an adequate gas supply. ie an adequate working pressure at the valve inlet .
Looks like the valve's stuck in the closed position!
Give it a bat and see if it opens!

I'll re-phrase that .... A sharp but gentle tap with a hammer

If you have open circuit between l and n, the coil is goosed. Tae use a technical term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back