baxi solo pilot light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)
Baxi Solo WM 40/4 RS

2) What is / is not happening.
The pilot light has gone out and won't relight. It went off yesterday and relit after about an hour, this morning and it came straight back on, after school straight back on but now gone off again and can't relight it.

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently.
Nope

4) When did the problem start?
Yesterday

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off.
Not noticed

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance.
See above

I would appreciate any help with how I can fix it (quickly as its bloomin freezin)

Sponsored Links
Check your pump. This could have stuck and is making the boiler overheat.

If I remember correctly the thermocouple is in series with the overheat :confused:

Does this coincide with your heating timings? In order of likelihood:

• 1 dead thermocouple
    2 blocked pilot injector
    3 dead gas valve
    4 cracked HE dripping on pilot when system shuts down and everything contracts.

after school straight back on but now gone off again and can't relight it.
I dont think its wise for school children to "play" with gas boilers

Sponsored Links
Check your pump. This could have stuck and is making the boiler overheat.

If I remember correctly the thermocouple is in series with the overheat :confused:

I have a myson compact round thingy which has a dial with 1 2 3 on it (currently set to 2) and then a honeywell little box with an auto man slider on it set to manual.

Does one of them sound like the pump.

Fiddled with them and still nothing

Dead thermocouple sounds painful and something I'm going to need to order. Does it need to be boiler specific or is it a one thermocouple fits all sort of thing. Also can I fit it myself or as its a gas thing do I need a corgi to do it :D

As you do not appear to be able to recognise a pump compared to a zone valve, I would respectfully suggest you call an RGI in to fix this :eek:

The thermocouple is a specific one for this boiler.

As you do not appear to be able to recognise a pump compared to a zone valve, I would respectfully suggest you call an RGI in to fix this :eek:

The thermocouple is a specific one for this boiler.

Cheers Dave to be fair I'm certain the round one is the pump, In my little world of coldness I was hoping for a jiggle the switch fix. I don't tend to mess around with stuff I don't understand too much (shame its not a pc really)

The man came out and told me to get a high limit stat, a thermocouple and a pilot injector. The man in the parts shop said I must have had it wrong there is no high limit stat and it must be a thermostat that I need.
When the man came back to fix it he said I had the wrong one and I need to get the high limit stat.

I've been looking on the internet this morning and can only find a high limit thermostat for the 40/4 PF or an overheat thermostat for the 40/4 RS. Are these the same thing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back